will chips in prop affect performance?

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey, my prop has some flat spots, and some chips in it. i still can get the boat to do about 35 without maxing out the rpms.......

i just want to know, will having this prop being beat up possibly damage the motor/perfomance/boat?

this pic should give you an idea of what it looks like, but if you think a better picture would help with your advise. just let me know and ill take one.

thanks
zuke
boatpics010.jpg

tommays

Admiral
Re: will chips in prop affect performance?

It looks beat up BUT cant really see how much is dammaged metal Vs missing paint

Tommays

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ill take another pic later and post it...

thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The blade pointing at the camera looks like its missing a fair amount of tip. Cupping is probably gone. The skeg and the prop have both found the bottom more than once. I suggested replacing it before installing speakers -- remember! d:) Speaking of that, where did you decide to mount them?

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i decided not to mount them. after talking to you idecided that if i really wanted sound i could just bring my ipod and headphones so only i could hear it and not to bother any one else whos fishing...... and that would also give me a little extra money for buying necessities.

and in this case it might be a new prop.

the pic should be up in a few minutes.

zuke
out

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

heres some pics of the prop...

i just took em, and its dark, so let me know if you think better pics would help and the last one is just a teaser.

proppics005.jpg

proppics004.jpg

proppics003.jpg

proppics002.jpg

proppics001.jpg

127-2748_IMG.jpg

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Now, if your prop had been in perfect condition you could have been at the fishing hole a little sooner and would have been able to fill the entire stringer with fish. LOL

Yes I would recommend having the prop reworked. Should run in the 60 dollar ballpark. No need to replace it.

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when you say re-worked, do you mean having it filed down... is that something i can do? i am pretty good with tools,

will having it re worked affect the speed or plane out time?

does anyone know the process of reworking a prop?

thanks for your help

zuke
out

p.s. that bucket in the background of the pic is where the rest of the fish are...... lol and thats because the stringer got to heavy to hold because it was soo cold and windy the rope was hard to hold, so we just started filling up our floating bait bucket, and dragged it along the dock.

lots of good eatin... striper...... one of my favorites.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

It needs to go to a prop repair shop. The tech there will be able to answer all your prop questions. He will most likely want to know what your wide open throttle rpm's are. You can not do it with a file and hammer. To locate a prop shop check your yellow pages or ask for a referal from a local marina or marine repair facility.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

a good prop shop will add metal then work it .that prop has defently seen better days.judge the cost of repair vs buying a new one also. i see the iboats stoe has nice props on sale now, i just bought an amita 4 blade for my 90 and the total cst was 109.00 . by the way i cant see the fish real good what are they and nice catch.

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do keep in mind that a unbalanced/damaged prop can effect more than just performance. It can send unwanted vibrations up through the whole motor. If left unkept over time, it cause seals to breakdown and leak oil out and water in. If you buy a new one, your old prop would make a great spare if you find a rock or stump.
Good Luck
K

studlymandingo

Commander

Get a new prop, let the prop shop rework that one and keep it as a spare. Trouble with a dinked-up prop is that the beat-up spots cause cavitation which further erodes the prop.

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

should i get a stainless steel prop? as those seem to be the most popular.

or should i get one just like this one?

MRS

Commander

If you are hitting things with your prop. I would not go with stainless could do motor damage the aluminum gives the stainless will not. Nice fish was that photo taken at the winsor launch? We launch at Havasu landing and fish the basin area. I carry two extra props and a extra nut and whasher if you do have to change a prop on the water and drop the nut::^ the prop will not do you any good.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I thought zuke was closer to Lake Pleasant MRS. Looks kinda like Windsor though . . .

zuke,

Studly and MRS are all over this. Use this opportunity to get a spare everything, including a thrust washer. If you are going to lake fish mostly, then I would go stainless. Find a shop who will both repair and allow you to test a stainless one until you get it right. Take advantage of Walleyhed in the prop forum for that discussion.

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i will take it to the only marina near me and see what they say...

as far as the fishing spot goes. i dont know which one it is, but its the one that you have to go through like and rv park to get to, and it has the long t shaped lighted dock.

p.s. i think some of the damage on the prop came from me. the other day the wind got so bad that everyone was leaving at the same time, so i was kind of in a hurry to get out of the water and in my hurry i didnt realize the trailer was a little to far out of the water, so when i got the tip of the boat centered when the waves hitting behind were raising and lowering the boat , and i think i bottomed out the motor while trying to trailer...... however the large nicks in the prop came from previous owner.

when i take the boat for its yearly check up i will see what they can do for me in the prop dept.

thanks for all the help

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I'm betting that you would be happy with a budget aluminum replacement. Should be able to buy one new for $100 or less. A new clean prop will run smoother than what you have now, prevent premature seal and bearing failure in the lower unit, and give a nicer ride.

For the price of a repair, you can probably buy a new prop, and have the old one as backup.

blank.gif

This Hustler prop and hub kit is less than $89.00 in the megamall. Can't tell what year and hp you Johnson is, but I would look up the hustler brand if you want good performance at budget prices. I'm happy with mine.

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that hustler prop looks like a good deal..... the only thing that looks weird is this warning....

Introducing the re-designed MasterGuard Hub System for superior performance.
PLEASE NOTE: THE NEW HUB DESIGN IS NOT INTERCHANGEABLE WITH THE OLDER STYLE HUBS.

what does this new hud designe thing mean for me?

by the way, i have a 1988 60hp outboard johnson. with a 17" prop.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Zuke - I am also in AZ (Anthem area). Spent this morning at Lake Pleasant. I have used a prop shop near East McDowell and the 101 in Scottsdale. Several of the local shops send their prop work to this shop. It would not be appropriate for me to give the business name on this forum, but you can find them under "Boats" in the local yellow pages.

I also have a Hustler and like it. The warning is for someone that may be trying to match old/new hubs with old/new prop. The megamall is only selling new style props and hubs. If you buy your hub and prop at the same time you will not have problems.

zuke1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds good.....

so i think the new plan is to take the boat to a shop and have them do the yearly fluids and tune up. and have the new prop delivered right before then so they can put it on and make sure it works good.

and then take the old prop to the un named prop shop in scottsdale and have a good reworked secondary prop.

thanks for the good advice, maybe ill see ya at the lake one of these days.