79 Merc Tilt trim Bleeding

clayster

Cadet
Hey All just got my brand new tilt and trim hoses for my 90 merc today going to install tomorrow. I heard this system needs to be bled can someone tell me where the new 10w30 oil goes and how I bleed the system. Thanks everyone!!!

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: 79 Merc Tilt trim Bleeding

Some systems you do not have to bleed. .After filling you run it up and down a few times then refill.
Some you bleed at the cylinders. You will need a manual to tell.
You fill at the fill screw on the pump itself.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79 Merc Tilt trim Bleeding

Clayton, There are SS phillips screws with oring seals on the top and inside (near where the fuel lines attach) that serve to bleed the system. You need to remove the trim clinders from their mounts to bleed it. First fill the pump with the oil. The aluminum slotted screw on the right side, of the front of the pump, is the fill. After the pump is full, turn the cylinders until they are horizontal with the hoses facing up. Remove one of the bleed screws and run the pump in the up direction until you get a steady stream of oil shooting straight up. Now wait for a minute or two and try it again. When all air bubbles are gone, replace the screw and do the same to the other one. Now install the cylinders, and open the bleed screw on the top end of the cylinder. Run the pump in the down direction. Again wait and repeat until the bubbles are gone. Repeat for the other side. Refill the pump and you should be good to go.