1995 15hp idle

tylertown

Cadet
Motor idled well on flusher at home. First time on water, motor started and idled fine. After warming up I ran for 100yds. and motor died. It would start on second pull after one pull on full choke but wouldn't idle so I could not put it in gear. Now it won't idle on flusher. New fuel tank with fresh, clean gas.

I know from archives that the usual answer is to rebuild the carb. Why would this happen? Why are outboard motors so sensitive. None of the other 2 cycle engines I own give the problems everyone seems to have with outboard motors.

Assuming something got in idle needle seat, would it be possible to remove the idle adjustment needle and flush the seat?

Any help will be appreciated.

tylertown

wbblc87

Cadet
Re: 1995 15hp idle

tylertown said:
Motor idled well on flusher at home. First time on water, motor started and idled fine. After warming up I ran for 100yds. and motor died. It would start on second pull after one pull on full choke but wouldn't idle so I could not put it in gear. Now it won't idle on flusher. New fuel tank with fresh, clean gas.

I know from archives that the usual answer is to rebuild the carb. Why would this happen? Why are outboard motors so sensitive. None of the other 2 cycle engines I own give the problems everyone seems to have with outboard motors.

Assuming something got in idle needle seat, would it be possible to remove the idle adjustment needle and flush the seat?

tylertown

It's all about the fuel, not the engines. Any bowl type carburetor holds fuel in it unless you take the time to drain it all out. that left over fuel turns to varnish. then you drag the motor out a season later put new fuel in it. that new fuel dissolves the varnish loose from the bowl and the pieces left over plug up the carb orifices and now the engine won't run.

tylertown

Cadet

wbblc87 said:
tylertown said:

tylertown

It's all about the fuel, not the engines. Any bowl type carburetor holds fuel in it unless you take the time to drain it all out. that left over fuel turns to varnish. then you drag the motor out a season later put new fuel in it. that new fuel dissolves the varnish loose from the bowl and the pieces left over plug up the carb orifices and now the engine won't run.

tylertown

Cadet

wbblc87 said:
tylertown said:

tylertown

Thanks for the reply but this is not my case. I never leave fuel in the carb and when I rebuilt the carb it was very clean except for some black particles I found after the main jet. I am trying to find the source now.

fireman57

Captain

I bet you find more black particles if you clean them again. Put and inline filter on your gas line. Probably stuff from the tank. Could be old fuel line that is rotting and flaking off. Might put all new line on it with the filter.