help! please?

hrzracr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
im new to boating just got this boat its a 17 foot open bow it has an evinrude 85 hp motor. I brought it home saturday night and went to bed when i went to use it sunday the motor wouldnt come down from the upright position it has the power tilt trim thing one it and the tilt would go up but not back down i tried burping air out of the hydraulic cylinder through a line that spirals from the bottom of the hydaulic cylinder to something else right behing it. the motor dropped a little but as soon as I tightened the line it stopped. we accidentally squirted all the fluid out and now I dont know what to do my questions are how do I put fluid back in the cylinder? and how do I get the tilt working it makes the noise like its pumping it just wont move thanks, josh

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: help! please?

Hi hrzracr23

Look on the starboard side of the motor mounting bracket. There should be a recessed hole with a screw in it. This is the manual release valve. Using a large screwdriver that fits the slot tightly, loosen this screw one full turn(Do not try to remove the screw). This should allow you to manually raise the lower unit. Once up, tighten the screw back up. Then on the back of the fluid resevoir, there will be a fill screw. Remove the screw and fill with tilt and trim fluid until it comes out the hole. Put the screw back in hand tight and lower and raise the lower unit several times. Recheck the fluid and repeat...Knowing the motors year would help, but this is the general idea....

hrzracr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok so I followed the instructions to the T now the motor will go up under power but still no downward motion. Im not sure of the year but I could find out if that would help. The hydraulic oil is foamy which means there is air in there? Ok so onto question numbro two, the way my tilt trim is set up not sure if this is how they all are but there is a large hyrdraulic cylinder in the center which brings it up and down which is the problem Im having. But then there are also two smaller rams that look like they are also hydraulic could be wrong, but they stop the motor from going any farther down Im assuming this is your trim mechanism? how do I change that so the motor will go a bit farther down I need to adjust it so the boat will plane out a bit when its in the water under full throttle the bow comes way out of the water n Im not getting full speed. any help is appreciated ~josh

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Is the tilt pin in the hole closest to the transom? Try pushing on the lower unit when it's trying to come down. You may need to lubricate the tilt tube. Can you hear the trim motor running when you hit the down button?

hrzracr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah you can hear the motor when you push down it just wont move