New York's new law

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: New York's new law

while yall are granpa'ing better let me in. its how I get to the blue crab and various other places on the weekends so as not to mingle with the land idiots on US158 and NC 12.
however I try to maintain enough equalibrium so I dont have to be helped onto the dock :):).

rolmops

Vice Admiral

There are a few differences between the driving and boating laws in NY.You can still have an open container on a boat,in a car that is a no no.When you are moored you can drink yourself senseless and it is legal.Remember a DWI and a BWI are moving offences.You can sit in your car in your drive way and get sauced(As in tailgate parties).
Anyway, It is the same old story. The guy who goes fishing and has a beer or 2 gets punished because of the idiots who drink and destroy.

Link

Rear Admiral

Haut said:
Boom, I agreee.......
I don't know how the bill is worded, however, I'd wager there better be a somewhat sober person on board even if you are at anchor.....
I think that is just common sense.....
Maybe not as low as .08....
Any veteran imbiber knows .08 is child's play!
It's all about profit in the name of public safety, IMHO....
A kin to the stupid seatbelt laws........;)......JK
Ok dude iboats is supposed to be fun, not work!
Had to look imbiber up! ;)

aspeck

Staff member

Enforcement can be tough - on land or on water. Had a call for an unresponsive person the other day - at the drive thru window of the bank. Get there and he is really messed up. Shut off his car and take his keys, call State Police, no major alcohol smell, but he keeps asking us to park his car. He thinks it is running and is trying to bust the gear shift lever.

Police make him do all the field sobriety tests, and he passes them all! While telling the police that he got off work at 7AM and has been in the bar ever since (1:30 PM now). Since he passed all tests, they call family who take him to hospital for tests. He becomes beligerent for first time and refuses tests (but since family requested and not police, no prob) and he leaves.

Bar he was in is noted for heroin. But police too worried about probably cause and he was back on the road 2 hours later.

In our area, many more police than water cops. Just too hard to enforce - wish they would do a better job of it. Lost a friend because of a drunk boater and had to do useless CPR on two others (different accidents) because of drunk boaters. I don't like drunk drivers - be it boat, PWC, car, truck plane, 4 wheeler, motorcycle, etc.