Long list of 1993 Johnson 25hp problems

alkoz

Cadet
This is going to be long so grab a big coffee or adult beverage. I had another post about the water pump, but I think I need one that shows more of the history. I truly believe that boats/motors have some kind of intelligence. I made a comment about how much I love fishing from my kayak better than the boat, and was thinking about selling the boat. I said it in front of the boat, and since I did, the boat’s refused to run.

My motor is a 1993 25hp Johnson that is in excellent condition. It only has about 20 hours total of run time. I de-winterized it a few weeks ago and just cranked it over to make sure the battery was still charged. I took it to the ramp to launch. When I got the the water the motor would crank and crank, but not fire up. I took the boat home and found that the kill switch was bad. After I did that and put the control box back together, the symptom changed. Now the starter would pop up for ½ a second, then drop back down. I pulled out my meter and found that I had 12v going into the switch, but only 10v making it thru the switch. I opened up the switch and found the contacts burnt(maybe I went overboard trying to start it). I bought an OMC switch and installed it.

Now it would crank and fire up, but quickly die. I found that I could keep it running, if I put the primer solenoid in the manual position and feed it fuel by squeezing the bulb. I don’t know anything about carb, but I’ve been reading on the net. I decided to pull and diassemble the carb. I found the bowl and a bunch of gunk in it and the port at the bottom of the bowl was clogged. There was a tower in the center of the bowl that had a black residue on the top of it. I’m not sure if it’s the remnants of a gasket or just gunk. I put everything back together and it seemed to run great. My idle was smooth and I could race the engine using the idle lever.

My pee stream was weak and installed a water pump that I had sitting around for the last year. I had trouble getting the lower unit back, but everything seemed smooth afterwards.

I took the boat out again. This time everything seemed fine. It fired right up and we moved around at slow speed with no problem. When I went to get the boat up on plane, the engine started to speed up then died like it was bogged down. I could race the engine in neutral, but not in gear.

Here are some posibilities I can think of:

1) Before I put in the ignition switch, the overtemp buzzer would give a quick beep. Now it doesn’t make a sound at all. Could it be that somehow the overtemp curcuit is limiting my rpm.? Does in limit rpm in neutral and in gear?

2) Carb is out of adjustment. I know nothing about carbs, but I’ve been reading. I know there’s a low speed and high speed adjustment. On my carb, theres’ an adjustment on the side which I’m pretty sure is the low speed adjustment. There were two other jets/ports that were just brass inserts. One was at the bottom of the bowl, the other was on the outside right above the air intake(butterfly valve). Do theses get adjusted or do they get screwed in until they are seated? How does the carb switch form slow speed to fast speed? That black residue on top of the tower in the bowl, was that a gasket?

3) I screwed something up installing the water pump. I don’t think so. I pulled the sparkplugs and spun the flywheel and everything feels smooth. The thrust washer is installed correctly and the prop is not rubbing.

I’m a field engineer by trade and can fix stuff if I know how it works. I’m on a low budget now and am putting some guitar stuff on Ebay to get some cash for a mantenance manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Long list of 1993 Johnson 25hp problems

Have you tried pumping the bulb when it bogs? Sounds like a fuel pump problem or possible air leak in the fuel lines...

alkoz

Cadet
Re: Long list of 1993 Johnson 25hp problems

I've been doing some research, and it looks like what I thought was black gunk, was really the remnants of a gasket. I'm going to get a rebuild kit for the carb.

thanks,

al