Questions for Great Lakes Fishermen

UpstNYer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What size and type boat do you feel is the minimum for deep water fishing in the Great Lakes. By that I mean trolling in 100 to 300 ft. of water.

Can an open bow boat be used for this or is a closed bow boat (like a cuddy) always preferable?

I mainly fish Lake Ontario and the seas have to be under 1' before I trust my side console 16' Fisher Avenger more than a mile offshore; virtually calm if I go much further than that. Many times lake fishing just isn't possible in that boat and I have to stay in the bay. If I run a few miles down the shoreline to fish and the wind comes up, I have to crawl back to the bay if the seas get up to 18" or more. I hate to pound heck out of the boat by trying to run on plane in those conditions.

I'd like to be able to go after the steelhead and salmon, but it makes no sense to equip a boat for that if it can only be used in a dead calm. What is a practical minimum for this type of usage on the Lakes?

Thanks.
Bob

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Questions for Great Lakes Fishermen

I wouldn't go out with anything less then a 20' boat. My grandpa's Lund Baron 21.5 foot handles 3-4' rollers pretty easy.

rottenray6402

Ensign

It depends a lot on the boat. I have been out 5 or 6 miles in the lake in my son's 22 ft Trophy Bayliner with the enclosed cabin with water breaking over the bow and felt safe. I think for myself about 20 ft is as small as I want to go but with an open bow fishing boat I still wouldn't go out when it is real rough. I am a fan of cuddy cabin boats for Ontario or Erie and open bows for the rivers and smaller lakes. I think you are very wise to limit yourself with your 16ft boat.

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In lake michigan apox. 100 fow is about 3 miles off-shore. While 300 fow is aprox. 12 miles depending on location...With that in mind a marine radio is a must...(There are no "cell" towers in the big lake) Plus all "other" safety gear. A radio AND a cell phone is a good idea...

I troll out of a 19' Four Winns Horizon open bow.( A cuddy would be considered a little safer to some) I see guys in much smaller craft on calm days, but not more than a mile or two off shore.

Any waves over 4-5' gets rough and isn't fun to fish in...If I'm seeing 4 foot rollers we usually don't go out...Hope this helps..RJ

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry I didn't really answer your question: A deep V, at least 18 feet.

UpstNYer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the responses, guys. Anyone else with insight or experience, please, feel free to chime in.

What I seem to be hearing is that those open bow Alumacrafts and Lunds that have been calling to me are really not what I want to fish the Lakes. The Starcraft Islander I had my eye on a couple of years ago, probably was. Guess I'll have to re-align my goals....or get used to staying close to shore.

Thanks again.
Bob

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bob, those new Lund Magnums 18-21 feet are very nice...If you want to spend that kind of cash. Nice all-around fishing package. Also look at some of the "off-shore" boats. Century, Whaler, Polar, etc. Best of Luck.

Fishinerie

Cadet

I have fished Lakes erie and Ontario in both open and closed bow (cuddy cabin boats) on days when the seas are calm the open boats are enjoyable but when things are stirred up and either choppy or big rollers where you have water breaking over the bow you would be better served with the security that a cuddy cabin boat offers I have recently purchased a leftover 2005 191 Starcraft islander and have had it out this last weeekend on Lake erie with 3 to 5 foot seas and it did very well we shipped very little water and although we got tossed around a bit everyone on board felt secure with the higher freeboard that is generally associated with cuddy boats. 19 foot is the minimum I could with good conscience endorse for great lakes fishing.