New to this. Is my outboard 'dragging'? Please help.

riesesdad

Cadet
Hi, I just bought a used 83 Deltacraft 14 foot bowrider with a 83 40hp Merc. It's a pretty shallow boat with manual trim.

I took it out this weekend and there is a pile of water shooting out from each side of the motor BETWEEN the motor and the transom. Quite a bit is flowing back into the transom as well.

It looks just like something is dragging in the water, but since I'm new at this I don't have any idea what it could be.

I've tried all of the settings for the trim as well with no luck. Any idea what causes this?

thanks.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New to this. Is my outboard 'dragging'? Please help.

That's strange! The motor plate above the prop should be about even with the bottom of the boat. Is it?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Might have a long shaft motor on a short transom.:

SHAFTEXMP.jpg

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Something sounds like it is riding too low...manual trim bracket, motor plate, etc....IMHO

riesesdad

Cadet

I'll have to wait to check out the boat later, but this sounds like it makes sense. The boat is quite shallow, so the motor may be too long. I'll use the measurements provided to see what is on there and what I should have. I really can't see anything else it could be.

If the motor is too long for the boat (and I don't know why they would have used it like that for so long) do I have to buy a different motor for it? Or can it be modified somehow?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You can always install a jack plate and raise the motor if need be.

riesesdad

Cadet

tmcalavy said:
You can always install a jack plate and raise the motor if need be.

Excuse my ignorance. What is a jack plate? something you buy to increase the height of the transom?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The jack plate moves the motor away from the transom and can be used to adjust your motor height. If you are running a longshaft motor on a shortshaft boat you can adjust the jack plate to compensate it by making the motor higher.

There are manual ones and hydraulic adjustable ones. It does not "increase" the height of the transom only the motor.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Or if you are running a long shaft engine and want a short shaft there are several ways to shorten it. May be cheaper, and definitely lighter than having to add a jack plate.

Mark