evinrude 70hp 1978 cutting out problem

neil.westermark

Recruit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys

I have an evinrude 70hp 1978 engine. The engine hasn't run for 2 years. decided will take the boat out this summer so I changed the fuel tank and spark plugs run the engine at home had a few problem starting it but with some carb cleaner it eventually run fine.
however took the boat out in the water today started fine but as soon as you put the boat into gear it stalls the engine I have tried both forward and reverse but still no luck. Warmed the engine for a while also tried revving it manually at the engine again the engine revs fine but as soon as it goes into gear it stalls. Please help guys really want to take the boat out before good weather stops

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 70hp 1978 cutting out problem

Sitting for that length of time, the carburetors are fouled, gummed, clogged. The cure would be to remove, clean thoroughly including manually cleaning the high speed jets, and rebuilding them with new complete carburetor kits. That's the first step.

If the above doesn't cure the problem, which I suspect it will, we'll go on from there.

neil.westermark

Recruit

Joe said:
Sitting for that length of time, the carburetors are fouled, gummed, clogged. The cure would be to remove, clean thoroughly including manually cleaning the high speed jets, and rebuilding them with new complete carburetor kits. That's the first step.

If the above doesn't cure the problem, which I suspect it will, we'll go on from there.

neil.westermark

Recruit

hi guys
if the carbs where glogged up would this make a diffrence to the engine running on idle or with reves or even starting, it runs ok until i put it in to gear.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

neil.westermark said:
hi guys
if the carbs where glogged up would this make a diffrence to the engine running on idle or with reves or even starting, it runs ok until i put it in to gear.

Yes, it could affect all those areas...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Runs fine on the muffs, idles great & revs in neutral...but no power to push the boat...classic symptoms of fouled carbs...been there, did that...

btw, spraying carb cleaner into the carb throat is a bad idea - no oil - better to use premix gas/oil in a spray bottle

and...welcome to iboats!

neil.westermark

Recruit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys

Just a little update stripped carbs down jets were clean so I don't think it's the carbs. any ideas were I can find the cut of switch for when the engine goes into gear. I have bought a manual from ebay so hopefully when this arrives I will have a better idea. thanks

xtraham

Lieutenant

I had the same problem with a 70hp 1976 , I had to use torch tip cleaners in all the passages there are 3 in each Ventura, before my carbs would respond at all, it would idle fine and rev on muffs but bogg as soon as I put it in gear in the water this was the 3rd time I went through the carbs, when I finaly did get it to respond I found 2 reeds that were not seated now it ran great until I installed the air box, with the air box on it went back to bogging then I found that the air box snout was pinching off the bottom carb fuel line,I cut the air box for clearence runs great now, good luck

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Passages look clean, but...soak 'em overnight in carb cleaner anyway. Your motor doesn't have a switch to cut it off when it goes in gear.

xtraham, if any of your reeds were the least bit deformed...best replace 'em...if one breaks & gets into a cylinder...

xtraham

Lieutenant

jtexas, bottom reeds were off the seat just enough to see light with the reed plate off the motor, an outboard mechanic told me to just flip them over, I have been trying to find a set of boyesen to replace them....