Switch on thottle cable assembly?

ugbandtulsa

Seaman Apprentice
Hello!

Basic question. What's the function of the little rocker/pinswitch that's mounted to the shift linkage assembly bracket on the riser? When the shift linkage rolls this switch to the closed position under throttle, it seems to cut/interfere power to the coil, casing the motor to die on my vortec.

Also, how should this switch be bent/adjusted properly?

Thanks,

Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Switch on thottle cable assembly?

Neutral safety switch. Prevents people from starting or cranking the engine while in gear.
When in gear, the engine won't crank.
In neutral it will..

ugbandtulsa

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks don! Any reason why you think the switch would cause a temporary (approx 1.5 second) drop in power to the coil? In other words, when you press this switch, you can hear the electric fuel pump drop rpm, and the power goes away to to the 12v lead on the coil, is this normal?

I believe this was causing the engine to die when going over 1/4 throttle, so we bent the arm on the switch a little, so it would not engage the switch at all until at full throttle. Is this wrong?

Thanks again.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I believe this was causing the engine to die when going over 1/4 throttle, so we bent the arm on the switch a little, so it would not engage the switch at all until at full throttle. Is this wrong?

Yes it was wrong. Like I said in my first reply, it only works for cranking and only changes from neutral to in gear. Has nothing to do with idle or wide open throttle, and nothing whatsoever to do with the ignition.
Just because it happens at 1/4 throttle doesn't mean it's the controls fault.

What you really need to do is explain what your problem is and what engine and outdrive combination you have. Along with model, year, and serial numbers.
Right now, I have no idea what kind of problem you really have.

Bondo

Staff member

I'll take a Guess,.............

That's the Shift-Interupt Switch you're looking at,...........

And,.........
Your Lower Shift Cable is Junk,+ It's causing the Switch to Engage when it Shouldn't.........

Leave the Switch Alone,+ Change the Lower Shift Cable.........

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I think he`s looking for why the switch is there. provides a momentary stall/ ign. interupt to allow the gears to come apart when going out of gear.