Seriously need vintage expertise.

imported_KLR

Cadet
I've just aqquired a vintage outboard and can find nothing through research I have done.

If anyone can point me in any direction where I can find out the year and size of the outboard.

I can faintly make out a couple of letters on the side of the engine which tells me it's a Sea King and I'm thinking it is from the 50's. It is a 2 cylinder.

The tag on the engine says Montgomery Wards and that
the model number is : G G - 9 0 1 6 A
and the Serial Number : 4 5 X 5 6 2 9 5 7

If anyone could shed some light on this engine or help me with a book or website I would greatly appreciate it.

It appears to be in excellent condition and turns freely and has compression (ill find out how much later), it shifts and the prop turns in gear when turning the flywheel.

I need new plugs - 2

It is missing the recoil starter but has the back up groove for a rope. It is light blue and has a faing red stripe around the middle of the engine. The gas tank is like an oblong donut that sits down around the flywheel.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Seriously need vintage expertise.

You have a 5 hp 1954 Gale Sea King, manufactured by Gale (the generic OMC manufacturing division) for Mont. Wards. Check the other posts in this forum...those that say 5 hp Sea King or Sea King for more info. Acme Outboards has an owners manual for it.

imported_KLR

Cadet

tmcalavy,

Where did you get your info on this engine?
A site I found on the Gale produced Sea Kings says that the model number GG-9016A is a 12 HP engine. 54' 0r 55'

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

My bad. It is a 12 hp. Basically the same sound motor, but larger displacement. Guess it's time for new bifocals...up close stuff is problematic sometimes.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Forgot to add that those 12 hp Sea Kings are really stout. I had a 48 or 49 that was lots of fun, only it was direct drive...only one gear, forward. You had to be sure you were pointed where you wanted to go before pulling the rope cause it would always fire on one pull when warm and off you'd go. Took some getting used to.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Here's some pix of cousins of your 12 hp Sea King. Go to the auction site and copy/paste the numbers into the search field:
A 5 hp Sea King: 280011577730
Two 12 hp Buccaneers, same maker as yours but with different badging/paint, etc. : 180011171169
160011535545 hard to tell if this one is direct drive or full shift model

Hope this makes up for my error in ID'ing your model number/motor.

TWM

imported_KLR

Cadet

tmcalavy,

No problem, I am glad for ANY help anyone could give.
I really appreciate you replying to the post.

So far I know it needs new coils (their cracked all apart) and the plug wires are rotted away from the coil.
Would you know if replacement coils are available and if the plug wires were permanetly attached to the coil as a one piece unit or are they seperate pieces?

Alsol What do you think the chances are of finding the recoil start assembly for the top of it? 1,000,000 - 1 ?

I figure I need at minimum:
spark Plugs - easy to find
coils - should be able to find 2
recoil start assembly - probably..... impossible :-(

AND....... on the tiller... near the rear od the handle where it pivots up their are 2 small gears...one is broke.

You think it is worth keeping and fixing up? I would love to but if I cant find the recoil parts it would never be complete, I would hate that.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Incomplete depends on how old you are. Some of the oldest outboards and other engines relied on a handle to crank the flywheel to get them to fire...real knuckle busters, literally. But I digress.
Post your question about coils, the recoil and the throttle handle gears on the Ask A Member board at http://www.aomci.org
They will know a source for the coils. The wires should attach to the coils...they are separate units. Only use solid wire core wires, the carbon core wires in auto parts stores won't work well. These old motors and parts come up all the time on the auction site, and the AOMCI website has a free classifieds ad section where you can post a wanted ad. Think of it as a long-term project. It'll all come together, just give it time. The throttle handles should be pretty similar between most 12 hp Gale outboards of that year. Gale made badged outboards for several outfits...Monkey Wards, Goodyear, Atlas Tire, etc.

imported_KLR

Cadet

I found the whole piece that the coils and points/ condensers bolt to. The coils are new replacements and in perfect shape. The plate is off a 1954 Johnson 5.5 HP and I was wondering if they were the same part.
It appears to be an exact match but cant be sure without being there in person. Would you know if it was?

He also has the throttle handle, and recoil / engine case.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If the price is right, I'd jump on it. If the mag plate isn't an exact match, the coils/points/condensors can be put on yours. Hopefully it has fresh new plug wires, too. The throttle handle might also be a match, at least the internals such as the geared linkage. Don't know if the recoil would be interchangeable, but it might be since they are the same year. If not, you can always move it on the auction site or AOMCI's Webvertize ads.