whats best to clean and polish a boat

ski333

Cadet
my boat is looking tired so a freshen up is in order.what do i use to clean it then whats the best polish.its a 160 bayliner capri if thats any help:devil:8):devil:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: whats best to clean and polish a boat

Good old rubbing compound and a polisher or 3M fiberglass polish and wax.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use Meguairs heavy duty oxidation remover, then a good wax.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Meguairs is the best I've found and you can get it right here on iboats. This is their three step restoration kit.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

How heavy is it oxydized. The products you need really depend on the severity of the problem.

ski333

Cadet

not oxodised much just seems faded lightly as only fresh water use in florida beforei had it here in uk about a month ago.its just those dirty marks you cant seem to get of before you want to seal it with polish.the 3 step sound ok where could i get that in uk or could i buy on i boats and get it shiped?

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

[colour=red]Here[/colour] is one from iboats. But I don't think you need anything that extreme if it's just fingerprints, dirt, etc.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The Vertglas is a copolymer coating, kinda like a clear coat for paint. I would not recommend it except as a last resort.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I've used something called "Color Back" polish before. It's made by TurtleWax. It's for cars, but did a great job on my old runabout I restored. It has a medium abrasive that seemed to be just about right for the job. Don't know if you can find it in the UK, but worth a shot if you can...Looks like this:

rodi_1907_11692470

dutch135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Red crownline paint is faided quite badly, almost looks pink. A body shop quoted me $200 to buff out, but would these products help in a deep color like this red? (the color is basically from the waterline up to the rub rail on my boat, the rest is white)

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

dutch135 said:
My Red crownline paint is faided quite badly, almost looks pink. A body shop quoted me $200 to buff out, but would these products help in a deep color like this red? (the color is basically from the waterline up to the rub rail on my boat, the rest is white)

Yes. The Meguiar's three step would make it red again. My buddy used it his Wellcraft (same fade but blue) and it made it look new. Note: You will not get results by hand. You have to use an orbital polisher.

joetann

Cadet

I bought one of these high speed circular polishers,

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/veprcipo.html

I compounded the hull of my 27 footer, which was very oxidized, in about 6 hours. I used a 3M automotive compound that was pretty aggresive. Then put on 3 coats of Woody Wax. Still looks great after half a season.

joetann

Cadet

joetann said:
I bought one of these high speed circular polishers,

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/veprcipo.html

I compounded the hull of my 27 footer, which was very oxidized, in about 6 hours. I used a 3M automotive compound that was pretty aggresive. Then put on 3 coats of Woody Wax. Still looks great after half a season.

Also, get the 7" hook and loop attachment as the seller says and two or three wool pads.

jka

Seaman

Color Back works awesome on cars and provides a great wax at the same time. It worked especially well on my red car...which was faded. It made it look new. I use the 3m wax 2x's a year but will go with Color Back if it ever fades.
You can get C.B. at wallymart or Kmart...or any auto store.