Possible Lifter Noise Problem

jimshabbah

Cadet
2003 Chapparal 220 SSi Merc 5.7 Bravo III
All of a sudden this weekend picked up a noticable ticking sound. The best way I could describe is it sounds like lifter noise. Sounds like it is coming from starboard side of the engine. It is audible at all RPM changes whether in gear or not. It does not change when engine warms up. There has been no loss of oil pressure or noticable power. Oil is at full and looks/smells fine. My friend who owns it always uses premium gas and last fill up was at same gas station he always uses. The other thing that may or may not be important is that immediately after the engine is shut-off, there is about 2 seconds of a low pitch hissing sound. Does anyone have any thoughts on possible cause? Or should this one go the marine technician?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Possible Lifter Noise Problem

You most likely have a sticking lifter. Put in a quart of automatic transmission fluid. Once the ticking goes away, change your oil.

The transmission fluid has a lot of detergent in it.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

bruceb58.........please..no snake oil fixes.

JimS.., me thinks you have a definite exhaust manifold problem. When my last manifold went, sucked water in the cylinder, sounded just like a lifter, only more like a sharp crack (exhaust sound was what it was). Pull the plugs PRONTO, see if any are shiny clean, crank it, look for water coming out the plug holes..
Then we can continue. ...
(And if you get a stuck lifter, use RISILONE, not Trans fluid...........)

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Exhaust manifold leak. Scaaty's give'n ya good advice...Could be as simple as a gasket, could be cracked. You need to pull the suspect manifold.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I agree that a bad manifold could cause the noise but if you read the man's thread the oil is fine.

Oh...and Rislone is not snake oil!!!

Scaaty said:
bruceb58.........please..no snake oil fixes.

JimS.., me thinks you have a definite exhaust manifold problem. When my last manifold went, sucked water in the cylinder, sounded just like a lifter, only more like a sharp crack (exhaust sound was what it was). Pull the plugs PRONTO, see if any are shiny clean, crank it, look for water coming out the plug holes..
Then we can continue. ...
(And if you get a stuck lifter, use RISILONE, not Trans fluid...........)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...............

And,.....
If you Don't find a Problem with the Exhaust Manifold,.........

It'll be out of the way,+ you can Pull the Valve Cover,+ See what's going on..........

jimshabbah

Cadet

Thanks gentleman. Silly question, though. Wouldn't there be evidence of water in the oil. Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am still learning.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Recheck the engine oil, and make sure it's not overfilled.
If the crankshaft hits the oil because it's overfilled, it will aereate the oil which will cause the lifters to make noise. It is also hard on the bearings.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

You might not get milky oil right away..... the water is leaking in through the exhaust somewhere (its the hissing sound thats a tip-off).. and if the engine is shut off, the water in the manifold will leak past the valve if its open, then past the rings and into the crankcase. If the valve is closed not much can get by. It aint gonna dump a gallon in there that quick, and you said it happened this weekend, and its only Monday.

(And Rislone is designed for noisy lifters, Trans oil aint. Either give knowable advice, or read more and get more experience before you do)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Has this boat been used in saltwater much? If it has not, it would be doubtful that it is the manifold leaking water. A leaking riser manifold junction is usually the place where water enters but it will not cause a ticking noise. If it is a manifold issue it will be a loose manifold or a rusted through manifold.

Best test is to examine the plugs to see id there is a clean one in there to dismiss the manifolds.

A friend of mine had an engine where the manifold failed. It was a lot differnt noise than a lifter sticking.

How many hours on this engine and has the oil been changed at least once a year?

Just to set straight the Rislone Tran fluid disagreement, Rislone and tran fluid have very similar detergents in them. The main difference between the two is that tran fluid is dyed red to identify it when it leaks. If you want to call tran fluid snake oil but at least its cheaper snake oil than Rislone is.

If you do an internet search you can find a lot of informatiuon regarding this.

jimshabbah

Cadet

bruceb58

Only freshwater use and the oil is changed religiously every season by the local marine techs that do all of his winterizing. I am not sure of the exact hours, but I am pretty sure it is under 150. I will offer him all of your advice and offer to help him check the plugs. Sounds like most everyone agrees that would be a good place to start.

Don S

I did double-check the oil level. It is full, but not over full. I see where you have had a view posts in the past. Do you agree with starting with checking the plugs since the oil level is good?

jimshabbah

Cadet

Found it. Exhaust manifold gasket had a crack. Thanks again for everyone's help.

By the way, does anyone know where the reference "snake oil fixes" came from. I have seen the reference more than once. Just curious.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

jimshabbah said:
Found it. Exhaust manifold gasket had a crack. Thanks again for everyone's help.

By the way, does anyone know where the reference "snake oil fixes" came from. I have seen the reference more than once. Just curious.

Ask Bruceb...he has all the answers...might not be right, but he has answers

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Has this boat been used in saltwater much?

Not a lot of Saltwater in Illinois (did you look to see where the poster lives?)

" If it has not, it would be doubtful that it is the manifold leaking water".

Yep, fresh water mans last forever

"A leaking riser manifold junction is usually the place where water enters but it will not cause a ticking noise".

Usually? NOT. Goes in through the rusted out water jacket

"If it is a manifold issue it will be a loose manifold or a rusted through manifold."

Think I mentioned that in the third post, but 99.9% never loosen up

"Best test is to examine the plugs to see id there is a clean one in there to dismiss the manifolds."

Wrong moosebreath..water through a bad man will steam clean the plug

"A friend of mine had an engine where the manifold failed. It was a lot differnt noise than a lifter sticking."

Whoops, I forgot.. ALL motors are the same

"How many hours on this engine and has the oil been changed at least once a year?"

Irrelevent...seems the owner uses Premium gas, so that tells ya he cares for it.

"Just to set straight the Rislone Tran fluid disagreement, Rislone and tran fluid have very similar detergents in them. The main difference between the two is that tran fluid is dyed red to identify it when it leaks. If you want to call tran fluid snake oil but at least its cheaper snake oil than Rislone is"

PLEASE. 2 damn dollars at WalMart. Again, Trans oil works just great in a Trans, and Rislone works damn good in a motor

"If you do an internet search you can find a lot of informatiuon regarding this."

No need. I invented the Internet along with Al.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Final word. A rusted through pin hole/crack man will allow the sharp crack of exhaust to travel through and then is sound deadened by the water present in the outer water jacket. What you hear is a dull tink, and the hissing after shut off was a dead giveaway.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Scaaty,

Searay3 is the one that came up with the correct diagnosis. I said it was a possible loose manifold. You never said either.

Since neither of us were there we didn't hear the sound. My initial suggestion was due to the posters description.

Since you seem to have something personally against me, go through all my old posts, write an email to me to tell me all the mistakes that you have seen me make and then click on the "visit my website" link in my profile. This way, you can keep your rants off the board and set me straight all at one time.

If you want to, we can meet at Wal-Mart and talk while I am buying my next case of transmission fluid!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Geez -- don't get him going on ethanol (E-10 or E-85). d:)