Opinion on 1983 150 hp Blown Cylinder

akita8

Cadet
I have a 1983 150hp Black Max engine that has 120 psi compression on all cylinderbut the #4 which has ZERO. Is it worth rebuilding the engine? If I rebuild the engine can I only bore or hone the #4 cylinder or do I have to do all the cylinders if they are within specs? What would the aproximate cost be to rebuild it?
Akita8

urbanp

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Opinion on 1983 150 hp Blown Cylinder

I'd pull the head off first to see why you have no compression. It might not be as bad as you think.
Then again it could be. Until you pull it apart you cant be sure if you need to put a lot of money into it.

studlymandingo

Commander

If the rest of the outboard is in good shape, rebuilding the parts that are bad will leave you with a good motor. Pull it apart and see what is going on.

akita8

Cadet

I pulled the head and the piston is shot but the cylinder looks good. Can I pull the carbs, reeds and then pull the crankcase cover and disconnect the rod and r2 the piston that way. Or do I have to remove the whole powerhead and tear it down?

phatmanmike

Captain

best if you can remove powerhead if possible.

best again to take all apart and have all holes checked for wear and size/ out of round, etc etc etc.

iff all is good but the blown hole, yes you can bore it .010, .015, etc or whats needed and put a larger piston in that hole. while its apart, may as well hone other 5 holes and put new rings in.