Success with a composite prop!

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
After asking on this forum a few weeks ago, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a composite prop. I got the Piranha 3 blade, with an extra replacement blade, same size & pitch, for $150 including shipping. It arrived in 2 days UPS. They have a 4 blade model but it costs significantly more.

Install was super easy on my Merc 65hp outboard.

And to tell you the truth, it feels like my old prop. Well, I get a little more bite out of the hole, as I should, considering the other one was chipped & dinged. Top end was about the same, meaning very little flex. It survived a week of lake boating with no problems, and I have the extra blade in case I chip or break one.

There's another one out there that comes with 4 blades only, for about the same $$, but I believe they're not individually replaceable.

Then, at my local West Marine I discovered a neat composite prop called ProPulse. It has 4 blades, individually replaceable, with VARIABLE PITCH! You can, by simply twisting the hub, go up or down one number. i.e. you buy a 13 pitch, and it can be adjusted to be 12, 13 or 14. Unfortunately, I saw this after I'd ordered my Piranha.

But I'm happy with the Piranha. Composites are no longer just for spares. Hurray!

Dave

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Success with a composite prop!

I had a CompProp single-piece that I loved. The flex gave the boat better pulling power and it went away once on plane and booked along great. The thinner blades sliced thru the water much more easily than the aluminums. But I damaged it on a rock pile and had to throw it away. The gearcase survived just fine. :)

walleyehed

Admiral

willy, I think I already told you what I did with the new comprop a few weeks back, didn't I??

cgBosun3

Seaman

I run my boat in the Chesapeake Bay which is known for its shifting shoals. One good storm and all your local knowledge goes out the window! Fortunately, it's nearly all sand and soft mud bottom. I'm going to try a Piranha prop for my Merc 150 O/B with a couple spare blades. My boat (Baja 200 Sunsport) is very sensitive to engine trim, especially in a chop, so I need a prop that is not prone to ventilate on takeoff.
Anyone with a composite prop have any input?

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is your prop of choice, now?

No experience with composite props, but I was going to say that the new aluminum models from Mercury are really pretty good.

cgBosun3

Seaman

Right now I'm running a SS modded by Precision Marine. It's a 14 3/4 X 24" with a LOT of blade rake, vent holes and more cup than I'd like. I thought about taking it to a prop shop and having some of the cup ironed out. With my 150 yesterday , reached 65.5 mph on the gps with 4 adults in FAC conditions, but the hole shot is about a week to 10 days...Once the chop kicked up to about 2' the boat really struggled to get on plane, but ran like crazy once on top. I run at about 3500 rpm nearly all the time from point A to point B. I'd like a better takeoff since I like to move a lot during fishing and some tubing from time to time.

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I know, removing the cup will not inprove the hole shot much, but will decrease efficiency at cruising and top speed. Disclaimer - I have not preformed this modification, myself, so I could be wrong.

Your prop shop should be able to advise you.

Bob

cgBosun3

Seaman

Crownie2; you mentioned new aluminum props from Merc? What can you tell me about them?

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was refering to the Black Max series, which is the "standard" prop on most Mercruisers and Merc Outboards. Check out the Merc website for more info. - mercurymarine.com

I had one on my boat (stock) and it served very well.

Another similar choice would be the Michigan Vortex series.

For your boat, I would go with an SS 3 blade, but they are more expensive and cost more to fix. But they are more durable when contacting something they shouldn't - but maybe I don't have to tell you that!

Good luck

Bob