what a piece of johnson

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone help with the truarch plirers where can I get them NAPA maybee they are closed but need them tomarrow. It is for that huge snap ring after the carrier bearing. I guess they are over sized snap ring pliers

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer
Re: what a piece of johnson

Will they know what the hell I am talking about

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

I think the arch means the shap of the lower unit houseing true I have no idea .. But it takes the big ass snap clap that follows the carrier bearing in the lower unit of an OMC 115 1977. I got the name of the pliers for the manual.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Truarc are the name of the snap rings....All you need are some big snap ring pliers. Just tell them the size of the ring you are trying to get off and hopefully they will have something that will work....

http://www.truarc.com/

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

thank you rick every time I said truarc they would send me to the welding section.

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Matco has them for $108.00 that is crazy if you can tell me an easier way I would thank you greatly. In the morning I am going to fabricate a screw device to do the job. So if you have a cheaper and faster way let me know because it will take me all day in the machine shop to make this tool. What I have found is snap pliers have to open to far to get them into the housing. Then when you reverse them the angle is to great to hold onto the snap ring. A tig eats the cheap metal up on the pliers when I try to attach the proper tips and angle. I am going to try a 110 wire feed in the morning before I make them from scratch. That is if you guys don t tell me where or how I can do this an easier way..

Oh ya I also plan on recuting the gears. About five years ago I recut some gears for a buddy but that was before I messed with outboard motors. I remember they were batwing cut and it was only a 15hp motor. Can I do this on this big of motor or do I need to plan on machining them from scratch..(115 hp OMC) Have you all ever recut gears on this big of motor. A guy that works in my machine shop said he has recut gears on 150hp OMC before but he has a tendency to exaggerate. I really do not want to take this thing apart again I am really over this motor.

Walker

Captain

Good luck building a tool. I don't have a machine shop but I tried everything I could think of to get the rings out. In fact I did get several out with picks and screwdrivers, but the pliers from matco were worth the money when I finally broke down and bought a set. I think I only paid like $64 about 10 years ago. Looks like they're $84.40 now.. Go to this page and scroll down to Ratchet Plier
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2179&select I had to remove the ratchet lock to get into the V6 housings.

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

They look like they open the wrong way when you pull them shut. Did you have to close then pull them open..

Walker

Captain

Never checked NAPA. The only places I've seen these big pliers is Matco and Snap On. You don't even want to ask what Snap On wants for a pair of them.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Tools aint cheap....try Google for Snap ring Priers. And there are TWO kinds, one for Internal (what ya want), and External

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

I found them on ebay for 20 or so but need them tomarrow...Thanks you guys just sounds like I am either going to have to con the Matco guy into letting me test them for a second or fork out a bill

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Try a tool rental store. Some of the auto parts stores other than NAPA are open weekends. I once made a large snap ring plier out of a water pump (slip joint) plier to install a ring on my OMC outdrive. Drill a hole in each of the jaws. Find a nail of appropriate size for the snap ring and insert it into the drilled holes. Cut the nails off so just a small amount sticks out of the jaw. Squeeze the handles to release internal rings, pull them apart for external. It worked. It also helps to have a cheap pliers. A good quality plier has hardened jaws and would be tough to drill. Even if you can get just end of the ring out of the groove, you can use two small screw drivers to gradually work the ring completely out.

Jbors

Cadet

Hey. I'll tel you where you can get some for les than 15 bucks. Go to Harbor Freight. Thats were I got mine and they work great. Have let many friends use them and they can't believe I got them so cheap. They come in a pack of 2. One straight and one 90 degree. Give it a shot.

Ron G

Commander

Advance auto will let you rent them,our store will let you borrow or rent just abought any speciality tool good luck.