96 Force 120 no charge

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Similar to a recent post, my 96 Force 120 shows same voltage runnig or not. Tach works normally and motor runs great. 3in x 3 in square box on starboard side of eng(I assume this is rect/regulator) has a burnt area thru epoxy. I plug in onboard charger when on lift so low battery hasn't been an issue.
Would tach still work if rect bad? Would engine still run well if stator bad? I am going to try to troubleshoot w/manual when I go to boat this wkend but any pearls would be appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 Force 120 no charge

Engine would likely not run if the stator was bad.
Tach may work if the rect is bad

Chances are good it is the rect/regulator. Anything that burned thru the epoxy likely fried a diode or two.

ejs68

Cadet

roscoe said:
Engine would likely not run if the stator was bad.
Tach may work if the rect is bad

Chances are good it is the rect/regulator. Anything that burned thru the epoxy likely fried a diode or two.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there a simple test I can do with my VOM meter to check rectifier?
Thanks

imported_LakeRunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The visual test is the simple one. Any burning or discoloration is usually a sign of a problem. But if you must:

Check for broken wires and terminals, especially inside the plastic plug-in connectors. We recommend that you remove the pins from the connectors and visually inspect them.
Check the flywheel for a broken or loose magnet.
Disconnect the kill wires from the CD and connect a DC voltmeter between the kill wires and engine ground, turn the ignition switch on and off several times. If, at any time, you see voltage appearing on the meter, there is a problem in the harness or ignition switch. At NO TIME SHOULD YOU SEE BATTERY VOLTAGE ON A KILL CIRCUIT.
Visually inspect stator for burned or discolored areas. If found, replace the stator. If the areas are on the battery charge windings, it indicated a possible problem with the rectifier.