stupid engine won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

f4igrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This boat has been one huge headache after another. I thought my battery had died, so I charge it up overnight but the starter still wouldn't turn. So I took the starter off today and resoldered the brushes on, now the starter spins just great but the engine WILL NOT start. I have cranked the thing over and over again, and the starter is spinning like crazy but the engine won't fire.

The boat has been sitting for the past month and a half. The last time I ran it it fired up and ran just great. I ran the engine until it was out of gas because I knew it would be sitting for a while. So, between the beginning of May and now, what could be causing the engine not to start? Is the gas bad? I pulled the fuel filter and it is fine. I also pulled the plugs and when i have my wife crank it, I see a blue spark. So I am totally perplexed here, and very frustrated because we wanted to use the boat this weekend. Any ideas at all?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stupid engine won't start

ok calm down, you screw things up when your'e pissed. did you follow the starting instruction i gave you in the last post. what did the plugs look like when you took them out wet or dry. this is important to know. if they are dry it's not getting gas. if they are wet and it's get spark it may be flooded. did it even try to fire.

f4igrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they were wet when I pulled them out. I cleaned them off and put them back in. Should I take them out and flip the key to unflood the engine?

Pony

Rear Admiral

At least this will bump you back up at the very least...............

Do you have a spark tester? others will know the exact distance, but the spark needs to be able to jump a certain distance. Its possible you are seeing a spark, but it is a weak one and therefore isnt sparking when the plug is in the engine. Which would cause flooding.............and expalin the wet plugs.

Best to start with the basics.......Fuel, compression, combustion (spark)

Have you tried new spark plugs? its cheap and an easy fix. I replace mine anually.

tashasdaddy

if you have'nt blown the engine out. don't. lift the fast idle lever and disconnect the gas line. turn it over several times. it will push the excess gas out, and my try to start. i fit doesn't connect the gas line and pump and try to start with out the choke. has it even tried to start?

f4igrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, before I saw your replies I ended up taking the spark plugs out and wiping them dry. Then i turned the engine over a few revolutions and a bunch of white smoke/mist came out of the cylinders. I put the plugs back in and it fired up immediately. Evidently it was flooded, so I guess I shouldn't use much choke at all in the summer months.

On to my next issue (they just keep coming :) ). We took the boat out and it was fine, except for a leak where the bottom engine bolts are (through the transom). One of the bolts was put in at an angle (didn't notice before this) and it was leaking pretty steadily. I have removed the bolts and sprayed antifreeze in the holes to dry them out and avoid rot. I am thinking I should take a dowel rod, cover it with the same epoxy I was using with the fiberglass, then put it in the hole and let it dry. Then perhaps redrill the hole so it is straight?
Finally, assuming this is acceptable, should I coat the bolts with silicone or something similar before I put them back through? I want to avoid any other leaks around the engine mount.

Thank you everyone, I couldn't do all of this without your help. I am learning as I go!

tashasdaddy

glad to help. when you get pissed at walk up for a few and think about what you've learned. your plan for the leak is good. sompeople don't like this but it has worked for me. when you rebolt the engine use a large stainless washer coated on both sides with sealer between the engine and transom. the same on the inside. it's a pain in the --- to get lined up but worth it. good luck, glad you got to take a run.

fishinfill1

Cadet

I also have a similar problem (i think). I have an 05 seadoo with a 185 hp rotax 4-tech supercharged engine. I think i may have flooded it with water as I went to start it and would turn over as usual, but wont start. I then took the plugs out and saw they were very wet. What do i do???:confused::mad:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats!
This thread is over 3 years old, and you're in the Johnson/Evinrude Outboard forum. You might have better luck posting a new thread in the Jetski section.
Good luck with your motor issue! I'm sure somebody can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.