Bayliner 242 & 245 - what is the actual hull construction?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I was looking at larger boats, like the Bayliner 242 and 245 and can't find any details on the actual construction methods used. Used to be that boat builders had cross section views proud to show the construction of their boats.

Bayliner lists the structure as:
-Handlaid Fiberglass
-SRS™ Hull Design
-Textured Surface Decks
-Transferable Limited 5-Year Structural Hull Warranty
-Unitized Construction: w/Glassed-In Bulkheads
-Vinylester Skin Coat (Hull)

Anyone know what SRS hull design is?

Unitized Contruction? (rather broad term!!!)

Just wondering if these (modern design) boats will have stringer, transom and floor rot issues like boats built in the 80's with bare stringers and minimum glassing, etc

I just can't see doing a stringer job on one of these tall boats with multi level floors, two berths, etc.

It's not just a bow rider that the average Joe can cut the floor out of!

This is not unique to Bayliner, the others, Sea Ray and Maxim seem to be hush-hush too.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Bayliner 242 & 245 - what is the actual hull construction?

You can see the most if you go to the searay site and watch there Videos

My favorite on this is the boat builderss are currrently trying to get the law changed to limit there abilty to be sued down to 10 years

Just in time for the boat to fall apart at 11 years :(

You have to read all davids stuff he really does not feel ANY low priced boats should be built

Tommays

studlymandingo

Commander

Certainly makes the case for those of us restoring old boats.

rottenray6402

Ensign

Yikes!!! That is scary stuff, one more reason I'm glad I have aluminum! :% :^

mattttt25

Commander

you can see most of what you want by really looking at the boat. skip sitting at the helm and playing with the wheel- get down and dirty and open every hatch, access panel, etc you can. bring a flashlight. you should do this with both new and old boats.

handlaid fiberglass- if this is true, it's good. but you need to look at it. i think they may be misleading you here, maybe they hand lay some areas only. i think bayliner and other value boats chop and shoot their glass (thus keeping costs down). but again, something you can see yourself.

SRS hull design- neith good nor bad info. all builders like to give their hull design a cool sounding name. Grady calls their current design "SeaVee 2" or SV2.

Everything else sounds pretty standard. Best method to evaluate the build is to look at it closely. Follow up with a sea trial in rough weather or a lot of boat traffic. You'll feel how the boat is built.