Weekend of Fishing Shot to Heck

LadyFish

Admiral
Tropical Storm Grace has put a damper on our plans of fishing every day this holiday weekend. We are now flooded in and will be 'till at least tomorrow or even Tuesday. We had to pull the boat out of the water yesterday since our tides are expected to be at 5' this morning at 11:30.<br /><br />I hope everyone else is having tight lines and monster catches.

gonfishn

Commander
Re: Weekend of Fishing Shot to Heck

As they say tomorrow is another day....Midwest has been getting alot of liquid sunshine here to..<br />Can't remember the last time the grass was green in August.. :confused:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Ladyfish, That stinks! Maybe tomorrow will be clear...<br /><br />So far it's been a fair weekend as far as the weather.. (knock on wood) But it only figures, cause I won't go near the water on a holiday weekend, no way, no how.. <br /><br /> I'm figuring that next week, about thursday or friday night when I want to go fishing, will be a total washout..<br /><br />Gotta keep an eye on Fabian too...

Matt O

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry to hear about your luck. We just snuck in 4 hours of lake time, have a low pressure front coming in and the fishing was good early than some rain and wind sure knocked that down. Caught enough that I no longer have that shake from withdrawel but now I really want to get some fishing in. Small private lake and biggest one was 1lb 3 oz but it was fun anyway. <br /><br />Matt

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

no fishin' here neither... spent day closin up the<br />pool for the season :( kids start school this week <br />and it was 48 last night. say it aint so...<br />lotsa long faces this weekend! LOL<br />fishin will get good soon though :cool:

Jerry M.

Seaman

Feel for you folks. Up here in rain country, It's rained one day since May 15th. I'm getting cranky with all this sun. Not used to it. The other day I got out on the sound at 5:30am looking for some salmon. The first time I cranked the downrigger down, the weight somehow got hooked up with the feeding cable and the cable got tangled in the feed wheel. Jammed tight, and I couldn't free up. I tried a planer for a while but no luck so got home early. My wife wasn't up yet.<br /><br />Jerry

LadyFish

Admiral

Well, the sky's have cleared momentarily, but the outlook is not good. The flood waters from high tides have subsided and we can get out (long enough to go shopping with my daughter). But the winds are a little to high to get out on the water and will be at least until tomorrow afternoon. Besides the water salinity is all messed up with all the rain. Better fishing days ahead, this was just not our weekend. :(

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Too bad, Ladyfish. You guys have had more than your share so far. We got the very edge of it as it went by, but nothing except MORE rain. The one coming in could be very bad and I'm hoping it will veer off to the north while still in the Atlantic. Our good friends up there really need to expand their education on hurricanes. We already know enough about them--right?

LadyFish

Admiral

Snapper and Jack, Fabian is a monster storm. Already a Cat 4.....New England might want to keep a close watch. With any luck at all this storm will do as expected and stay off the coast and not make landfall. As of this morning 140 MPH with gust to 165 with a very well defined center of circulation. A large trough is expected to become established over the eastern United States within 72 hours...which will weaken the storm somewhat in addition to moving over cooler waters, then speed up and be gone. Lets hope they're right.<br /><br />As of yesterday afternoon, another low pressure system had formed in the northern Caribbean. This one expected to move into the eastern gulf within the next 24 hours.<br /><br />'Tis the season guys.

rwise

Captain

That's what we all need, more rain, NOT. We got 7" Saturday and 12" Sunday. Good thing it was not a wide spread storm! Man I really wanted to go fishin, but I can't bail that fast!<br />Richard

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Isn't that strange? Gone Fishing and I could probably stage a rain dance and get thousands of participants...we're even drier down here, and people around here are REALLY getting nasty dispositions with all the sun. I've got this strange tint to my skin...I think it's called a tan... Wish we could take enough of your rain away from you folks so it would even out. We really do prefer rain up here.

LadyFish

Admiral

Okay wiseguy CaptnMike, you'll get your share soon enough.
rain.gif

Jerry M.

Seaman

Sounds strange Ladyfish but Captn's not kidding about looking forward to the rain. For one thing, I've got to water my Rhodies practically every day, and I have alot of them. It also curtails the weenies who move here, and then can't stand the rain, from moving back where they came from. They think this sun everyday is going to last. Traffic is terrible.<br /><br />Jerry

go-fishing

Cadet

I do sympathize with you "Easterners" [East of the Rockies.] I spend a month each spring and fall taking care of my mom's place on Keuka Lake in central NY, and I know that this past year has been both exceptionally wet and exceptionally cold. But, let me remind you that last year and the year before, and the year before, … y’all were complaining about the drought<br /><br />I live in the Pacific NW, and here, it has been dangerously hot and dangerously dry. <br />The woods are on fire!<br />There is no prospect of putting out the fires until we get rain!<br />I-84 (the only east/west Interstate between I-90 in Seattle and I-80 in Sacramento) is CLOSED by fire, 30 miles east of Portland!<br /><br />We have had decent fall salmon returns to the estuaries, but if we don’t get rain and cooler temperatures, they will not survive the trip up-stream to spawn, and so, in 3-5 years, the populations will collapse. Steelhead suffer 50% mortality in 72 hours in 72 degree water. Salmon do a little better, but not much. The Columbia River (at Camas/Washougal WA, 15 miles above Portland OR) is 71 degrees. This is not good.<br /><br />Forecast is high 80’s and low to mid 90’s and NO RAIN for at least the next 10-days.<br /><br />We joke about this (When the ferns and moss on my back dry out – it scratches something fierce.), but we really do need rain, overcast, and cooler temperatures.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With my luck all it would take would be a trip to Wa Capn Mike and it would rain almost constantly. I've had me boat in the shop for approx 5 weeks and there have been some pretty days here, South Ga, but now that I am getting it back friday, the entire gulf has been painted green, yellow, and red on radar. Would come over there if it wasn't clean across the country. :D :D

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

I'll be away from my computer until next Monday; there are 20,000+ salmon/day going upriver for the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how I do.<br />The good news is that rain (or at least some showers) is predicted for Saturday. Hopefully, it'll stay, and we can get some "decent" PacNW weather for a while. Gone/Go Fishing (I'd think you two were one person, except you're a couple of hundred miles apart ;) ) are right: the consequences of dry weather in the NW are much more serious than wet. Of course, Ladyfish, we don't have a clue about what hurricanes are like either....with only a few exceptions, we just don't have severe rain nor snow storms. When the subject comes up, everyone mentions in hushed tones the "Columbus Day Storm" ....it occurred in 1962. :rolleyes: <br />RetNav, even if it rained everyday, it'd be OK. The fish would come up the river in greater quantities, they'd be moving faster, would be more aggressive, and with a boat top, hot coffee and Jameson's, it's just fine.....no, it's perfect!

LadyFish

Admiral

Captn Mike, we want a full report on your trip when you get back. Sounds to good to be true.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Put the report in 'Catchin' any Salmon' before I read this. It's lovely here today. Cloudy, cool and a sprinkle. Hope it continues a while.<br />The mild weather here is a true story, but it takes some people a while to get accustomed (some never do) to the winters. If we get snow, it's only for a couple of days, but we do get "mist" a lot! But for a guy who was raised in snow country, mist is a lot easier to clean off sidewalks....

Link

Rear Admiral

Capn Mike:<br />I saw those Salmon runs on the news.. Awesome!<br />So how did you do? haha<br />Side note: I grew up in Cougar about a hour from<br />you up in the mountains from the late 50's to<br />late 60's. We averaged 3-6 ft of snow every winter! Mild was 1-2 foot Wild was 6-8 ft! The last time I saw 8ft was in (I think) in 1977 when<br />they had 2 ft and then in a 24hr period it dumped another 6ft! (walk without stepping up on the<br />roof type thing) Since then it's all been down hill! <br />Anyway it is now but always hasn't been such a mild climate out here.. either you are decades younger than me or I'm like old! I will not except the latter :D <br /><br />Link

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

I got to the PacNW in the mid-60s...just in time for the '68-69, '78 ice storms. But we really haven't had anything since then. I'm not counting up in the mountains....I think Cougar has two seasons: August and winter....there are other places in the country (in Wyoming, were I grew up)that are like that, but I'm done shoveling snow.