Which baitcaster

Steve876543

Cadet
I'm not that "skilled" at baitcasting, but realize that to have precise casting, I've gotta suck it up and learn how to use.<br /><br />So, looking for a good baitcasting reel, combination of quality and price.<br /><br />A couple I'm thinking of are:<br /><br />Shimano Curado, Pinnacle, Penn<br /><br />Any thoughts for me? Thanks!

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: Which baitcaster

I have Quantium, shimano, penn. But I prefer<br />my Abu Garcia's the best. Good value for the<br />dollar and they stand up to the abuse I put them<br />through especialy when its -25 deg they still<br />operate well. Just my opinion.

LadyFish

Admiral

We have 3 Shimano Curado Bertrums, 2 100's (5.1) and one 200 (6.1). Until we got the hang of it and quit birdnesting, we went through a lot of line. Now we love them. They're light, easy to use and I would highly recommend them.

Steve876543

Cadet

Thanks. I've been leaning towards the Shimano Curado. It's nice to get some reinforcement of it as a good reel.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

i love my Shimano Curado, i got it and a johnny morries at the same time and the shamano is the reel in my hand the most read the instructions and it will work like a charm in fact its the first reel i've had mono on in 5 years

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Use braided or mono, Do Not use fusion or superlines like Fireline. A few people do, but they don't work in my reels.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I own a few curados, and they are awesome reels for the money. I haven't had any trouble with any of mine, and I admit to being a little too lenient on reel oiling, cleansing, etc.. I bought my reels to fish, not to sit around cleaning them! hehe<br /><br />Anyways, I also recently bought a 'Pfleuger', it is very nice as well, and they have a few good deals on them right now at the bass pro shops.<br /><br />I still prefer the curado. I also have 2 calcuttas though, so I may be a little 'shimano' biased.<br /><br />Shawn

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use all ABU-Garcias, Steve. <br /><br />For a beginning baitcaster I recommend the AB series 5500s. AB means Anti-backlash. It is easy to wean off of the AB feature to normal, backlash-free operation.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Black Max

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Abu-Garcia Ambassador, the best reel I've owned.<br />I have 23 different types of reels, and rather my ambassador over all of them.<br /><br />Their solid as a rock!!!

ob

Admiral

I'll have to agree with the Abu Garcia fans.Also the 5500 is an excellent place to start.For a few more skins the 6500 is a nice reel as well and has a bit wider spool for that affords good casting distance for those hard to reach redfish.Parts for all are readily available at most tackle shops.Once you learn how to adjust the spool tension with the weight of line and tackle ,casting will become second nature.<br /><br />Now ,if your taliking big baitcasters,say 6-8 oz. surf weights rigged on 7ft leaders the 4.0 and 6.0 Penns with the wide spool kits are hard to beat.Enjoy.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

I use both Shimano & Ambassadors. They're both good reels, and the Ambassadors are less expensive: you can buy 5500 for $55, 6500s for $65 on sale most of the time. Shimanos are usually $30+ more.<br />But...when casting, all things being equal, I can cast about 10 yds further with the Shimano.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

my Abu Garcia 6500 didn't hold up died after one year so if i have to buy a new one every year that makes them expensive but i could send it in or buy the part if i only knew were hint

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Diawa SM 2A baitcaster, my all time favorite. Still find'em on one of those auction websites, I forget the name....

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buy the Curado!!!<br />If you are right handed buy a left handed reel.<br />Its easier to reel with your left hand and work a lure with your right.<br />Alot of the bass pros are switching over to left hand retrieve after years of using right handed reels.

Pecker

Cadet

Ambassador/Abu Garcia is hands down the best. I've got four of them and just for grins I bought a Quantum. The Quantum ain't bad, but Ambassador is the best.

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Abu Garcia 5500c-3 Abu Garcia reels are the best value for the money. and they never break down.<br /><br />Suzuki40

NOSLEEP

Commander

Jay Williams.. All my casters are left hand wind<br />I am right handed and do not like to switch hands<br />after casting, The biggest advantage to left hand<br />wind is the ability to control the boat with<br />you left hand while holding the rod in your right<br />hand when at the helm. Makes for much easier<br />fishing.