things endured just to fish

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
what's the worst/stupidest thing you ever did to<br />wet a line? callin in sick is minor.. lieing to<br />the wife is a different matter ( if'n u get caught)<br />mine falls under stupid. earlier "fishing" post<br />jarred my memory. the "best" day I ever had was<br />immediately followed by the stupidest.<br />very next weekend, me and my cuz were totally<br />primed to get back to repeat our mastery over fish.<br />only problem was 6 ft. seas. made the 15 minute<br />walk to our spot up the breakwall a little hairy.<br />but after the day we had, a few waves weren't<br />gonna stop us. just time the waves right? :rolleyes: <br />we were getting soaked! hiding behind<br />big rocks to take the brunt of the force.<br />halfway to our destination, the coast guard pulls<br />up and DEMANDS that we come aboard. we said; "no<br />thanks", but they threatened arrest... we got a free<br />ride back to the car and were seriously ticked<br />they didn't let us fish.<br />oh the things we'll endure to wet a line!<br />M.Y.

Big Al1

Seaman
Re: things endured just to fish

Anyone ever pulled this trick:<br />Dip out early from work, leaving your computer on as if you are still there and having a coworker cut your computer off when he leaves.<br /><br />Somedays you know the fishing will be just that good that you must fish no matter what.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Got drunk before a fishing trip and still went. Too drunk to drive too drunk to get on the boat w/o bodily harm and too drunk to fish but I went anyway. I let the other guy drive everything but even then I could not fish too busy passing out.<br />Of course if you mean a true fishing trip three of us went out to the jettys in my 16' aluminum boat. We ended up staying too long and it was plum rough in the open water on the way back. I felt the wind come up and a part of me said go back but we were fishing so I did not listen. I ended up breaking the boats ribs because it was so rough I hit a wave and jumped the boat. (Of course the jetty had blocked the waves and my vision so I had no clue untill we rounded the end so it was not all my fault.)<br />I tied off to a bridge in a shipping chanel and a sub went by. I got swamped and beaten agianst the bridge. I was sure I was gonna have to swim in. The wake was taller than I am and in the trough it was like looking at a wall of water like in "A Perfect Storm". I actually considered using my 22 I had with me for dispatching sharks to shoot at the sub because I had never felt so scared for my life and wanted some revenge.<br />These are about the stupidest things but I bet my wife can think of more.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

fished a tournament last summer with an agraved rotator cup ended up having surgury for it because all the casting made an minor injury into a serious one that had me in a brace for 3 weeks the third week had the fever real bad!!! told the wife the dr gave me a clean bill of health so I went a bassin and caused it to become agraved again the wife locked the boat and all my gear away until the doctor gave HER a note saying I was ok believe me I had to beg the DR for the note<br />When the fever hits its a hard one to break

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Cold, Heavy Rain at 1:30 AM, running up and down the ICW looking for bait and asking myself "Why are'nt you at home in bed ya idiot?" ain't fun... :( <br /><br />Thats about the extent of what I'll tolerate to fish...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Snuck into the Milwaukee Zoo, using an equipment tunnel they have that goes under a nearby freeway. Stumbled around in the dark to get to Lake Evinrude, a man-made lake named after its financial sponsor. I don't know what they use the fish for, if anything, but there are lgmouth bass and northern pike, and surely panfish of all kinds. Caught a few bass and a snakey pike, then got all turned around and lost trying to get out of the zoo before the sun came up. Oh yea, this was after bar closing time.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sat up front in a truck on a 6 hr drive to a boat and my nearest company was the loudest, most foul mouthed ******* I've ever met. To keep thing going smoothly I just nodded a few OK's and gave minimal interactions. When we got there this tosser gets out and announces to the rest of the crew that I was no company at all and should be avoided on the boat!<br />Thankfully no-one took his advise and he travelled back in another motor afterwards. The fishing was great but he really did get my goat.........<br />Ross

rwise

Captain

My brother a friend and I went to our honey hole after catfish. Its about 2 hours from the ramp winding through the stumps and logs. We got back there bait ready lines out, crack pow, it rained hard for several hours. No top on the 14-foot boat just an umbrella between the three of us! Still it was a good trip, the cats were biting. But it rain wasn’t in the forecast!

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Once stayed out fishing for 20 minutes in a huge downpour. I got onto some good bluegills. Only stayed 5 minutes after the lightining started. My wife was yelling at me from the dock. I got a little nervous being in a 10 ft aluminum row boat filled with a bunch of rain water with lightning. <br /><br />Once went out in the same boat while it was snowing so hard, the visibility was 15 feet. Cold wet, but I started yanking in bass. I came in and showed the some of the guys the bass I was catchin. They didn't want to go out so I went back. We got around 5 inches before the sun was gone. Once I got back out, I only caught 1 more large mouth and then the bite was gone. Staye dout a while too.

jonboatbassin

Seaman

fished an early spring tournament a couple years agoa nd my hands were so cold and so numb that i honestly couldnt feel my hands enough to unzip my pants to ****... my hands just wouldnt work

Mullet Head

Recruit

Last striper trip of this season was my most aggervating trip. Had two friends come in from 5 hours away. They wanted to duck hunt but i talked them into striper fishing because the wind was just right, and there were not many ducks around. Started across the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel at 5:30 in the morning. Got in the first tunnel and sparks were coming from my wheel. Lost a bearing. Got it out the tunnel and on the third island. Winds were blowing 30 knots and gusting to 40 out of the north west. After 6 hours we had the right bearing and were on our way. Was going to just scrap the day when my dad called and said to get out here. Ended up with 5 fish between 30 and 40 inches. The water was like glass by the time we got the boat in the water. Bet your *ss we have extra bearings in the boat now.

ebbtide176

Commander

after reading all these stories i remembered this one. it was very scary at first, and probably dumb by most accounts-<br />taking a small johnboat & kicker out on a flooded river, at night, while camping in the middle of nowhere. it was pretty shaky going with all the strong currents & eddies, and dam hard to tie up to an overhanging tree branch. but man did we ever catch some beautiful catfish! <br />they were stuffed with all the food washing by.<br />by the next night, we had the maneuvers down pat, but if one of us had gone in, (no lifejackets)we would've been history.