Need a starting point for a "new to me" motor

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I'm hanging a "NTM" '96 Evinrude 130 hp on my 17.5 Stratos 217F. I previously had a Johnson 120 w/ a 13.5x22p Raker. The newer motor only had an aluminum prop, so I will have to hunt down my own SS. Looking for recommendations for prop diameter and/or pitch for this motor and I'm thinking that 22p is a good place to start as that pitch prop was a good performer on the 120.............. I'm ready for an education or if you need more info..........<br />Thanks for your consideration.....<br /><br />/mike

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Need a starting point for a "new to me" motor

What year was your 120???...forget that...obviously had the 13 spline shaft, so yea, I believe I would be looking at a 22P as well, and shoot for 5800-up.

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, the 120 was a '94 w/ 13 spline. Check w/local prop shops to see if it could be rehubbed to fit the 15 spline, one said "maybe" the other said "no way". I'm inclined to go with the "no way" as their info on the process seemed to be logical to me and offered quickly and matter of factly, whereas the "maybe" shop didn't seem to confident about it at all. <br /><br />Any ideas what I should be looking at far a diameter goes? The old Raker was a 13.5". Would that be too small for the 130, or if diameter has a minimal effect, what would be the range of diameters I should be looking at?

walleyehed

Admiral

You'll be in the 14-15" diameter range, and don't get "too" hung on diameter.<br />I would say if your performance was good with the Raker, stick with the same design...it'll be 14.5X22. One thing the larger diameter "may" help with is engine running heigth, especially if you have a jackplate. If not, we still may be able to raise the engine and lose a little drag.

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

Boat should be back in the water by the weekend. I'll know more then re: rpm, mph ........... Just need a starting point.......... thanks!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Is the 130 a 25" motor?