Aussie needs prop advice.

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings from down under.<br /><br />Just picked up a new (for me) boat 4 weeks ago. Boat is a 2000 model 22ft Fibreglass Bonito Calais 685. The hull has a deadrise of 23 degrees.<br /><br />Outboard is 2000 model Mercury 225 EFI. Manual says max rpm is 5800. The AV plate is about 1" higher then the base of the transom.<br /><br />The boat came with 2 props.<br /><br />Prop 1: 4 blade Solas stainless - 19 pitch.<br />WOT: 51 mph @ 5100rpm<br /><br />Prop 2: 3 blade Laser II stainless - 21 pitch.<br />WOT: 53 mph @ 5400rpm<br /><br />My main priority is maximum speed.<br /><br />3 Questions -<br /><br />What WOT rpm's should I be aiming for?<br />Should I play around with engine height?<br />Can you recommend me a prop to maximise speed?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Aussie needs prop advice.

Sales brochure for the 225 says 5000-5500 so your target (per the experts) should be 5500 or as close as you can get.<br /><br />Engine height gives you reduced drag but allows for prop ventilation (cavitation). The right prop and it is not a problem and the Laser II should take care of a lot of that as it is a high performance raked and cupped ss prop....but you might read Kenny's prop report, 1st entry in the prop section and go to the last section where he talks about the larger boats; heavier loads.<br /><br />Again, per the experts, to change prop types/manufacturers you would introduce a new unknown.<br /><br />I guess I have learned here that the first thing you would do would be to jack your engine up and and when you have all of that that you can stand (cavitation) back down one notch to stop it and then look at another Laser II.<br /><br />Just ran your numbers thru the prop calculator:<br /><br />Gear ratio 1.64:1<br />Pitch 19<br />Rpm 5400<br />Theoretical speed 65<br />Actual you say 53<br />That's 18% slip (Probably ok for a 22' boat)<br /><br />Assuming you jack up 1 or 2 inches and your top speed and rpm's go up you are doing the right thing. If you just blow out, you have to stay where you are.<br /><br />Assuming you don't, Then take your new rpm's, say they now have moved up to 5800. Then we assume the slip has been reduced by the reduced drag (going faster, less hull in the water, less lower unit to push thru the water) so I'm going to drop it to 15% then your new theoretical speed is 60 mph....pretty fast. <br /><br />Anyway, theoretically then to come back to your max WOT rpm's of 5500 you would have to prop up to a .....calculating.....22 in pitch. Not much change for the cost of a new prop. <br /><br />But anyway hopefully you get the idea. <br /><br />HTH,....but I ain't no expert.<br /><br />Mark

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.<br /><br />My trusty little Mercury owners manual states a gear ratio of 1.75:1 and a WOT rpm range of 5000-5800 rpm for fuel injected models.<br /><br />How does that affect the slip %.<br /><br />And what slip % is considered bad/good/excellent?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

0% slip is 100% efficient but since a prop operates in a liquid, that isn't possible. Slip figures that get you closer to zero (probably in the 10 - 15% range) would be acceptable but there are lots of variables.

walleyehed

Admiral

Numbers punch in to show about 9% slip...very possible at max efficiency...

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

Would you recommend I drop down in pitch to get my WOT revs closer to 5800rpm?

walleyehed

Admiral

I'd raise the engine on the transom before I would think of changing props.<br />This will gain some RPM and speed...raise 1 hole at a time and test.

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I finally got around to raising the engine one hole and testing. Whilst raising the engine I also noticed I wasn't getting full WOT. So I adjusted the throttle as well.<br /><br />I have only tested with the 4-blade Solas stainless 19 pitch.<br /><br />Previous result:<br />4 blade Solas stainless - 19 pitch.<br />WOT: 51 mph @ 5100rpm<br /><br />Result with engine raised one hole:<br />4 blade Solas stainless - 19 pitch.<br />WOT: 54 mph @ 5400rpm<br /><br />With the engine at it's new height I cannot use full trim anymore, it starts to blow out. I can get to about 3/4 of maximum trim. I have to trim down further in turns as well but this is expected.<br /><br />Im aiming for 5800 rpm at WOT. Whats my next move? Bear in mind the motor can only come up one more hole on the transom.

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't tried the laser yet.. will give it a run next outing. But I can see where your going.. I've gained 300 rpm so the laser prop may get me very close to my WOT rpm target. <br /><br />Thanks. Will report back.

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

OK, latest results are in:<br /><br />Previous result:<br /><br />Prop 1: 4 blade Solas stainless - 19 pitch.<br />WOT: 51 mph @ 5100rpm<br /><br />Prop 2: 3 blade Laser II stainless - 21 pitch.<br />WOT: 53 mph @ 5400rpm<br /><br />Result with engine raised one hole:<br /><br />Prop 1: 4 blade Solas stainless - 19 pitch.<br />WOT: 54 mph @ 5400rpm<br /><br />Prop 2: 3 blade Laser II stainless - 21 pitch.<br />WOT: 55 mph @ 5500rpm<br /><br />Looks like the 4 blade prop responding a lot better to raising the engine than the 3 blade prop. 300rpm and 3mph Vs 100rpm and 2mph.<br /><br />The 3 blade Laser II prop also had terrible holeshot with the engine raised to where it is now.<br /><br />Time for a new prop yet?

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

Still tied up at the dock waiting for some expert advice. Kenny? Dhadley?<br /><br />One of those new Enetia props in a 21 pitch might be a good bet. Supposedly you can gain 2-300rpm pitch for pitch when going to an Enertia.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

I have an idea, sell the fishing boat and buy something designed for speed. That engine will push you into the 80 mph range on the right boat, you won't have to worry about wanting more speed than.....

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a laser 2 22 pitch prop hole shot is terrible on my prop as well.i have raised the motor as well but dont seem to matter on my boat iwould try to avoid the laser 2.i dont think there that good of a prop.thats my thinking im no prop expert.

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by paulie0735:<br /> I have an idea, sell the fishing boat and buy something designed for speed. That engine will push you into the 80 mph range on the right boat, you won't have to worry about wanting more speed than.....
But I want a fish/cruise boat that can carry 7 adults. <br /><br />The way I see it, if I can get my engine into it's correct WOT rev range whilst maximising performance, then the engine will be a lot happier, will last longer, and I'll have made my boat more efficient and use less fuel across the entire rev range, not just at WOT.<br /><br />The bottom line is im not a speed freak. Im just using my the max speed at WOT to gauge the boats efficiency.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you clarified that, that’s kind of why I said it, but you did state in your first post that<br /><br />My main priority is maximum speed.<br /><br />3 Questions -<br /><br />What WOT rpm's should I be aiming for?<br />Should I play around with engine height?<br />Can you recommend me a prop to maximise speed?<br /><br />It might be time to look at the hull. Fishing boats by design are built heavy and strong but not necessarily straight and true.

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

My mechanical abilities can extend to changing a prop. <br /><br />I can look at the hull.. but I think thats all I could do. <br /><br />Im just after a expert advice on what prop will get me into the 5800rpm range whilst giving me maximum speed (ie minimum slip).<br /><br />Motor can go up one more hole.. is it worth trying that?

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, try it. Also give Solas in QLD a call, they should be able to help you locate a dealer who can lend (rent) you a few props to try. There has to be a few good prop dealers around Sydney Harbour, but you won’t get much help if you’re not serious about purchasing a new prop and don’t expect a discount and help, the 2 don’t go together. Your Solas 4 blade may have some trade-in value, but I would keep at least one of the old as a spare. Good luck.