prop blades

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class
what does a thinner longer blade on props do vs a short fatter blade.is one style any better.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: prop blades

Thinner blades tend to flex more. Thus loose their shape which, unless taken into consideration during design, can make for a prop that not only may have performance issues, such as poor fuel economy thruout most of the rpm range, but may also have issues regarding strength to resist breakage or not developing fine cracks due to the blades constant flexing over time. A prop with blades that are to thick will create extra drag and weight and not only cause a loss of top end speed but will also take longer to reach a given rpm range. Additional weight also means more wear and tear on drive components. Especially so should the prop come into contact with the bottom or striking an object such as a log. A thin blade prop compared to a prop with thick blades will absorb some of the energy that would have been sent to the drive components and uses that energy to bend or even break. However, that's my understanding of it. Granted I am no expert on props.

walleyehed

Admiral

Matt,...pretty good explaination if we're talking about aluminum props.<br />Ususally with thinner blades, we're talking about SS props or special alloy alum-type.<br />Now, the way I understand the question is blade profile...narrow blades (thinner profile) vs. wider blades (more surface area)...if this is correct, in either SS or aluminum, the wide area blades are for pushing heavy loads (more efficient at slower speeds), and the narrow blades tend to be more of a speed application, and most likely will have higher rake angles where as the large blades will likely be closer to 90 degrees to prop-shaft, generally.<br />Of course we have props that fit in between as well.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

you under stood the question right i was just comparing the shape of blades of a laser2 prop vs a quicksilver ss prop the quicksilver prop looks like same shape as alum. the laser2 is a whole differnt prop.the quicksilver looks like they made on the same jig as alum.prop as far as blade design and were the blades are located only the quicksilver is ss.thanks for info.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Haven't looked at a Laser lately but I'd bet it was/is set up to run partially in the air.<br /><br />I ran regular SS quicksilver props (24 initially and 19 afterwards) on my "89 17' Ranger (Fisherman glass) with a 115 Merc and it ran super.....but the engine was not jacked up and it was a padded deep V if you can believe that (had a deeper V than the Commanche but padded like it).<br /><br />I could trim out till the speed fell off and execute a pretty tight turn (as tight as I dared) and it stayed put.....but I'd bet jacking her up an inch or two and it would be a whole different story. You could hear the engine singing at 6 grand and the blades of the prop whacking the water....really cool.....and the wake and rooster tail....walla.<br /><br />Mark

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

my boat seems to run a little better with a quicksilver prop the laser 2 has a little sluggish hole shot.ihave a 120 force motor triton tr17 boat.ive found that the lager diameter props dont do as good as a smaller diameter prop.quicksilver props blow out a lot quicker than the laser 2.i wish i could find a stiletto prop to try.