help me to find the right prop.

Steph_RS

Cadet
Hi,<br /><br />I have a Peterborough 18.5' X 7.5'1989 whith a mercruiser 4.3/ Alpha One. 185Hp<br /><br />I ran 48Mph / 4700 rpm<br /><br />I have a Aluminum 3 blade 20 pitch on it, for the next season i will buy a steinless prop.<br /><br />What is the best pich to choose to hit the 50 Mph.<br /><br />Thank for our help.<br /><br />P.s. i am a french Canadian, don't hit me for my bad english :)

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: help me to find the right prop.

Welcome aboard, and I hope you're more of a gent then the last French Canadian I met.... :D <br />I would think a good high quality SS in a 19 pitch would be a good choice.<br />SS pulls a bit harder than alum, hence the 19P, but they usually have a bit better top-end as well.

Steph_RS

Cadet

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> Welcome aboard, and I hope you're more of a gent then the last French Canadian I met.... :D <br />I would think a good high quality SS in a 19 pitch would be a good choice.<br />SS pulls a bit harder than alum, hence the 19P, but they usually have a bit better top-end as well.
Thank you for your fast responce, i will try the SS 19P <br /><br />Another little question, what is the best way to go, 3 blade or 4 blade?<br /><br />Thank you:)

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

3-blades are generally slightly faster than 4-blades, but 4-blades have better holeshot and grip.<br /><br />Walleyehed's recommendation is probably very good, but if you have a chance to try some out before you buy, take advantage of it.

TilliamWe

Banned

Steph, bonjour! Commet t'allez vous? Ok, so I am Midwest American, don't hit me for my bad French spelling!<br />I second both opinions here. If 4800 is the top of your recommended WOT rpm range, and the 20pitch Aluminum hits it, you'll need a 19pitch stainless. But also as Stevens says, if you can experiment, that would be great. A 20 pitch stainless may not drop your rpms too much, and might get you that 2 extra MPH that you want.<br />If top speed is what you want, then a 3 blade is what you'll need. A four blade will create extra drag on the top end, and will not give you any more speed. Probably would be slower, actually.<br />Best of luck! Au revoir!

Steph_RS

Cadet

Thank you <br /><br />I will try a 19P SS 3 blade, i think that is the best Prop for my aplication.<br /><br /> :)