2001 Dodge Caravan - any good

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I am looking at used Dodge Caravans. Are the newer models any good?<br /><br />Do they have any serious engine or trans or air-conditioning problems? I can fix most other problems so they dont worry me.<br /><br />The one I am currently looking at has the 3.3L V6 with 4sp auto.<br /><br />Thanks, Ken

tommays

Admiral
Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan - any good

i am not a fan BUT my SIL has two Grand Caravans one is about 2001 and the other is 2003<br /><br />Both have just need normal service no break downs or anything out of normal<br /><br />tommays

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Transmission issues and head gasket from what I heard.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

They are very comfortable vehicles.The bugs that the mid nineties had (bad paint,trannies)have been cleaned up.They run about 24 miles to the gallon (highway) and somehow,because of their shape, towing a boat does not increase the fuel use as much as with other vehicles.If you are worried about the trannie,you can buy an additional transmission fluid radiator.(about $40).They are very easily installed.<br />They are a good deal for what you usually would pay.<br />I got one instead of my old truck,because there is a roof over the "pickup bed" and things do not get stolen out of the back.

D

DJ

They have a pretty good reputation. However, it's only going to be as good as the service it received.

dolluper

Captain

Trannie issues are the biggest problem,electric shift solonids are crappola,especially if your charging system is bad or a weak battery.Do an engine compression test before buying any of those vans FORSURE!!!!!!!if they won't let you walk far far away.I'm not a fan as you can tell.I worked on to many of them @3#%*@% things