Wakeboard, Want to learn. Need Tips.

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for responding. I have bought my first boat and would like to take my two boys wakeboarding. I skied once, pack during the depression, but wouldn't have a clue about wake boarding. Could you point me in the right direction for some tips? My boys are 11 and 12 and wieght about 100lb. What would be a good speed to pull them? Thanks again.

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wakeboard, Want to learn. Need Tips.

Not a pro, but I did wakeboard on my former boss's pro boat a couple of times. Since I'm too heavy and old for water skis, the high flotation of wakeboards makes it expremely easy to get up out of the water.<br /><br />Speed is not that much of an issue. Since a wakeboard is essentially a surfboard with foot mounts, you can tow a boarder quite slow until their skills improve(which they will) and until they start wanting to do tricks (which they will) ;) .<br /><br />I think pro boarders top speed is similar to pro skiers, which is somewhere betweem 20-25MPH. A little slower than that for your boys should be fine. Besides, everybody likes a good wipeout! :) <br /><br />You kids will love it!

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL - I'm glad I happened upon this posting... <br /><br />I am a skiier, not a boarder... I can give you a few hints... <br /><br />1. 1st, the speed IS a factor - Marty is a bit misled... wakeboarding speeds are typically between 16 and 20 MPH. waterskiing speeds are anywhere from 28 to 36 (36 being the tournament speed). <br /><br />2. no need to gun it out of the hole, like in waterskiing... you can give the puller considerably less holeshot because its easier to get up on a wakeboard... <br /><br />3. when i tried wakeboarding a LONG time ago, the way i got up was to hold the board under water so that the front of the board is facing the left (port) side of the boat... that helps you displace enough water for an easy get up... <br /><br />staying up is another story, and if you're a slalom skiier, its very hard to transition between the two diciplines.... i haven't been on a wakeboard in over 4 years for that reason...<br /><br />good luck<br /><br />Mark

chesire_catt

Cadet

Hi I too a kind of new to boating and wakeboarding. (bought mine last sept.) speed IS VERY important. TxRiverRat has is right For me the speed that I tell my wife to pull me is 18 MPH. I found it east to get up after some expeiment. But I have also surfed for 15+ years and used to hydro-slide often. <br /> <br />I start out laying on my back and the board perpendicular to boat.<br /> <br />Then when you he is ready Give it some gas don't be shy get the boat up on a plane (this will also pull the wakeboard up and out of the water. (I am not a water skier so I dont know how fast you go to pull up a skier. I do however know that I tried first starting off slow and tried to pull myself up on the board and I didn't do well and could barely move my arms the next few days.<br /> <br /> Now as the boat is starting to pull him up he gets into a crouching position handle to chest, knees to handle. board still perpendicular<br />to boat then slowly pivot the board and straighten up. should be timed about the same as pivot. (the standing). Hmmmmmm dont know how to word that when board at9:00/3:00 knees to chest 10:00/ 4:00 about haLF WAY STRAIGHT 11:00/4:00 almost all the way up if not all the way up. I'll pay attention more tomorrow (if the weather hold up) and get back with you on anything I missed and with the speed she goes at first. I did find this the best way for me to get up on the board. once up I have no problem staying up (untill I try to jump or turn 180 but Ill get it) but I am a surfer so I don't know how much that helps me. only had the board out 5 or 6 times ond the slow start was way off!!! Man was I sore!!! :eek: my second day out as I was getting up some guy was doing flips one after another errrrrrrrr anyway I hope this helps let us know how it goes. Wish I got a start on that thing at 12 or 15 Im 32 now and I pay every tim I go. Good Luck !!!

chesire_catt

Cadet

Oh yea make sure you have FINS on the board!!! and keep the leading edge of the board up- if your going straight the nose of the board needs to be above water sounds simple but.... need to really keep that in mind when cutting back and forth bigger leading edge when sideways and the water is HARD when face-planted unexpectedly because the you let the leading edge under. I know this. lol If you need fins Post and I'll get the address of a place that I got mine Good luck

chesire

Seaman

just wondering how it went let us know!

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I realy appreciate the help. I haven't had a chance to get out yet. It seems everyones graduation party is coming before my boating. I will be glad to post the update as soon as we make it out.

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought the board and rope today, I will be trying it in couple of weeks

joe parker

Seaman Apprentice

I have taught alot of people to wakeboard, but never in print. your boys being 11 and 12 have, almost certainly ridden a skateboard. you'll want to set up the bindings, just as if it were a skateboard, with bindings. If youve bought a ski rope, shorten it to where the handle is riding in the water behind the fattest part of the wake. when they are in the water, tell them to relax and don't fight the board, it's gonna lean a little, and that's ok. pull the slack out of the rope, slowly. tell them to focus on dragging their butt in the water as they start to pull themselves up. your at the throttle, just giving it enough gas to give the boarder something to pull against; a nice steady resistence. once they are up, gradually increase speed to about 15mph. the key is to be gentle with the throttle; this will become less critical as they get the hang of it. It's alot of fun, be careful.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

For everything you want to know about wakeboarding:<br /><br />www.wakeboarder.com<br />www.wakeworld.com<br /><br />Get an instructional video:<br /><br />Detention volume 1 (The best)<br /><br />Wakeboarding 101<br /><br />I have a different perspective than the txriverrat. I have slolam skiied for over 25 years and picked up wakeboarding immediately. Haven't skiied in over 2 years. Wakeboarding is a lot more fun. Easier to learn, unlimited tricks to learn. The kids will pick it up quick.<br /><br />Easy pull up.<br />Run the boys at about 18-20 till they learn.<br />Get the Detention 1 video, it is the most fun to watch and you will learn everthing you need to know about beginning wakeboarding.

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's the report. Thanks for all of the tips the proved useful. We were able to get up. It took 7 to 10 tries each, but we did make it and next time it will be a lot easier. I'm not sure it is easier to get up on the wakebaord that on skis, it has been too long since I tried to ski. <br />Thanks again.