Used Bass Boat Advice....

Metalleg38

Recruit
I am looking at a 1995 Javelin 387. It is 18'-9" with a 150 Evinrude intruder motor. Here is the ad:<br />"1995 EVINRUDE 150 HP INTRUDER, CUSTOM FRAMES S/A CUSTOM TRAILER, LIGHT GRAY/RED/CHARCOAL METALFLAKE, DUAL CONSOLES WITH PLEXIGLASS WIND DEFLECTERS,EAGLE SUPER PRO ID FISHFINDER IN-DASH, INSTRUMENT PACKAGE, STEERING WHEEL TRIM CONTROL, STEREO, AERATED LIVEWELL, EVINRUDE FOOT OPERATED 24 VOLT TROLLING MOTOR, SST RAKER PROP, MOORING COVER"<br /><br />They are asking $10,995.00. This is from a dealer and from talking with the saleperson, I am sure it is neg. somewhat.<br /><br />My questions are: Is this a fair market price??? What kind of price tag was this boat new???<br />It is in real good shape and from the other boats for sale around town this one blows them all out of the water. Just don't want to rush into anything and regret it later.<br />Thanks in adance

D

DJ

Re: Used Bass Boat Advice....

Metalleg38,<br /><br />Here are some questions I would ask.<br /><br />1. Did they sell it new?<br />2. Can I see the service history?<br />3. I would like a compression reading on all six cylinders.<br />4. Will they warrant (at least) the engine.<br /><br />If the answer to all four is NO, look elsewhere.<br /><br />Boat prices are hard to judge. There are so many <br />options/equipment differences between similar boats. Condition plays the major role in determining price.<br /><br />I think the price isn't bad, don't expect to make money on it if you turn it in a year or two.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Metalleg38, <br /><br />Check out: http://www3.nadaguides.com/SectionHome/Marine - from what I saw, that boat with a 175hp motor was listed as average price $9,920, low price $7,250. I didn't factor in any accessories. Good luck.<br /><br />tcube

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

Met,<br /><br />I purchased my 95 Ranger in Jan of last year. The guy went to the nearby lake with me and we ran it. He started at 10,500 and before I even talked price he came down to 9,500. I think I stole it from him. Best darn boat I ever owned. Check the compression, and if everything works electrical wise it sounds like a good deal to me. You also may be able to find the previous owner by running a check on the trailer plate numbers. Then ask them about the boat. If they are not involved in the sale they will tell you the truth most of the time. Good luck!

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found all previous owners of my 1967 boat by calling the state with the hull number on the side of the boat. I don't know if that the right term..It would be the number that begins with the state abbreviation.

mjohnsonaz

Recruit

I inherited a 1997 Stratos "278" d/c bass boat with a 115 hp Johnson Fast Strike motor. I have no knowledge of boats and boat values. I am looking to sell it however I would not know where to start as far as a fair price. Any idea's?