89 350 problems

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had a head gasket fail on my 89 gmc 2500, so I changed both of them and when I put it back together would not start. Will semi start for about 3 seconds, sounds like sh!t though. Thought was 180 out of time no luck. Check the spark and had a weak spark. Checked the coil ok, replaced the mod. still no luck. <br />If any one has any ideals great.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: 89 350 problems

How weak is the spark? What color is it? Do you have fuel pressure when it attempts to run?

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes to fuel have tbi and its pulsing away. I'll get a nice white spark followed by a decreasing brightness untill very faint spark.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

did you get all of your grounds hooked back up?

TilliamWe

Banned

MAybe you are just a gear tooth out of time. You know, enough that it'll fire, but not enough to stay running? Not sure what to tell you about the spark, though, sorry.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Have you checked all your rockerarms to make sure your valves are closing all the way? jimr has a good point about having a good ground also. <br /><br />Maybe do a compression test to verify that you have a balance of compression on all cylinders.<br /><br />Just a few thoughts........SS

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

What engine is it? Chevy is easy compared Ford....,,8,6,what? Wires right? Chevy is opposite of Ford!....JK

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did find a ground I forgot to hook up, but that didn't help, might be another one though. Before I pulled the heads the truck would turn over great. Now it its only good for a few tries before it gives up, which is why I think the spark becomes so weak. Maybe I overtightened the rockers a compression test would be a good ideal. It has a 350 with the coil separate. I must be tired and forgeting something simple.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Does your battery have a good charge? Check your voltage, if it is below 12 volts, your stater is pulling all the current and reducing it to your coil.

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

No not the battery, can take it out of the truck after it has failed to turn the engine over and place it in another vehicele an it starts up fine. I'm wondering if my start is starting to go out to. I hate just replacing parts hoping to fix the problem.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

If its having a real hard time starting then the starter is dead or the timing is advanced way to far. Autozone will test your starter free for you. Theres no reason it would have went out other than coincidence but it is possible. I still lean with the timing. Turn the dist clockwise about an inch or two. Did that help? If not pull the power wires loose from the coil or dist. Now turn it over, does it spin over real easy? If not then its gotta be starter/battery/ground issue.

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have got the dist.out some cogs,or wires crossed,or the valves are not adjusted right.Do you know how to adjust the valves?If not holler.

T S N

Seaman Apprentice

chevytalk.com has a good engine/performance section. I check there when I have problems.<br /> T