6 months later and back to where I was

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Well, I finally got everything together on the POS Intrepid. No more fuel leaks but however, my overheating problem is still there! :mad: <br /><br />Rebuilt heads, new head bolts, gaskets, and belts. Still the same problem,,,,,,overheating is causing my overtemperment!<br /><br />There is a bleeder valve on the gooseneck of the tstat housing. All I get out of it is some spitting of fluid, but mostly steam. I referenced the manual about the proper procedure of bleeding the system, but somehow they must of not thought it was important.<br /><br />The only other thing I can think of that would cause this would be a blocked radiator. BTW, when it gets hot, the resivoir fills and overflows. :mad: I have another radiator, but it sure looks like a pain in the butt to change out.<br /><br />Any input would be helpful. :confused:

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 6 months later and back to where I was

Which manual are you working with? If it's the haynes, the procedure is hidden in Chapter 1, section 25 (page 1-20 and 1-21).<br /><br />The proper procedure to fill the system is with the engine running. Attach a short length of hose to that bleeder valve you found and run it to a bucket. Add coolant to the reservoir until you get a solid stream. Close the bleeder until the engine reaches operating temp and repeat. Do not overfill the res.<br /><br />I hate to say it, but the 3.5l had a bit of a reputation with it's plastic water pump impeller. And it's an outragous pain in the neck to replace. I'll see if I can find some info on checking it. I have no personal experience though - just with the 3.3l.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks Paul, The impeller on mine is a metal alloy. I had it out when I had the heads checked and redone. Once it cools down, I'll try that procedure you described and look again in my Paynes manual. <br /><br />What really burns me on this project, my buddy had a 3.5 out of a low mileage wreck. Could have got it for $150! :( Another case of "I can do that" type ego trip again. :rolleyes:

Paul Moir

Admiral

You might just need to get that cooling system properly bled then. No easy task in a Trep since the heater is effectively higher than the thermostat cover. Good that you checked it.<br /><br />Rad cap is another possibility, but if the rad hoses are getting hard when it heats up that's probably not the problem.<br /><br />(Putting the refilling instructions in the Cooling, Heating and Air Conditioning chapter would have been too easy!)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks again Paul! :D Just went out and followed directions and it seems to be doing fine. Heat is hot, and the temp guage is dead center. Electric fans kick on and off as advertised. <br /><br />I agree about that procedure should be listed in the cooling, heating and A/C chapter. I had checked that chapter word for word and was baffled why it wasn't there. It didn't occur to me to go another chapter. DUH on my part. <br /><br />At least this project wasn't a total loss. It did get the coolant leak that had been on going for the last 4 years. That was the intake gasket that failed. Definetly has better pep than before the valve job.!!!! :D <br /><br />Woooooo Hoooooo! Now I can sell it to get my seasonal dock fees paid! :D

woosterken

Lieutenant

SS,where do you call home water,I drag mine over to Pleasent hills every so offten.<br />ken

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi Ken, Pleasant Hill is where I dock each season. Hopefully this coming season as well. I use Newville as my home port since it is in the bottom of Pleasant Hill Lake. I live in Mansfield (didn't really want to admit it) :p If ya get over that way this year, my slip is #3 on the dock with the electric.

woosterken

Lieutenant

SS,Ok will look you up.<br />ken

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ahh, isn't it great when it's a stupid/simple solution? :)