Insurance Claims Adjuster

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
At one of my tech schools, I was chatting with my bench mate and he suggested that I look into becoming an insurance claims adjuster. It sounds interesting. I've done plenty of estimates and have over 25 years in the marine industry. I've noticed that most of the adjusters that come around have no clue about the subject. I've had customers turned down where it was blatantly obvious that they should be covered, and payouts on really stupid claims. It would seem to me that one of these companies could use somebody with my experience. American Family is within easy driving range. Is there such a thing as a Free-lancer contracting out to multiple companies to cover certain regions? Or companies that sub-contract cliams house calls? Any insights and/or advice would be appreciated. :)

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Insurance Claims Adjuster

In The Marine Industry There are a few Place to check out I will find out some names for you. Most Will out of Madison or Milwaukee. Give me your location and I will find you a company that is close to you. Being an Insurance agent myself I can and am willing to help out with this subject.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I don't know about auto or marine but this is common practice after major disasters - - ie hurricanes.

LubeDude

Admiral

I was in the autobody trade for years. I thought about doing the same thing once. Guess what, The Insurance companies dont want anyone that knows anything about cars, boats or anything else they may be looking at. They also want a college graduate. They want a young skull full of mush, (They esspesially like women), that they can program to screw people as bad as they can get away with. The last thing that they want is to have someone that may be sympathetic to there cause.!!!

TilliamWe

Banned

Willy, you want to become and "Independent Adjuster". I am an independent adjuster, after 7 years of working for a regional insurance company. If we had more contacts or were ready to expand into WI, my partner & I would love to talk to ya, but we ain't ready yet. Also, as an independent, work can be sporadic, and you have to work in order to make money. My old job sucked for the last three years, but it sure was nice getting paid to sit in the office on days I had no cars/boats/tractors/combines/boats tyo inspect. But it also sucked to get paid the same on days I had 7 to inspect and 200+ miles to drive! Check with your state's dept of insurance to see about any licensing requirements (there aren't any in Illinois).<br />LD is correct, to a certain extent. Many larger companies want someone they can train to work for them. State Farm is a good example of this. However, companies like Cincinnati, Erie, and some others will hire people with experience and just train you on insurance specifics.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Thanks, gents. A lot of good information here. Skiuseme, I'm about half an hour away from Madison and just over an hour away from Milwaukee in Beaver Dam. LD, After seeing many an adjuster come by and look at all the wrong things, I'd have to agree. That would explain those poor customers that were denied even with a busted skeg and corkscrew propshaft passed-off as a "Maintenance" issue. :rolleyes: :mad: <br /><br />I thought about heading south after Katrina, but I have home and family here including kids. Even temporary relocation would be tough. But it's good to know there are companies out there that appreciate expertise in a field. I was beginning to wonder. The Independent idea sounds appealing, especially if I finally get up the nerve to strike out on my own. That would be a good income supplement between repair jobs.

TilliamWe

Banned

Willy, familiarize yourself with paintless dent repair, and how to write a good PDR estimate. That way when the hail storms roll through, and some small mutual company or other small insurer that has a bunch of claims in a town, you can inspect several cars a day. Bill at time & expense, and you'll do fine.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I deal with insurance adjusters all the time. Some companies are very good and some absolutely suck. I swear they do psychological profiling as part of the hiring process. I believe "split personality" is definitely a requirement along with being a major A-Hole and extremely confrontational. ALLSNAKE, AMERICAN FAMILY, SHELTER and any company that advertises during the Jerry Springer Show are horrible so stay away.

Bondo

Staff member

I Agree with LD,.......<br /><br />Willy,....... You just seem like a Man,...<br /><br />Who's Too Honest,.............And,.. Honorable.....<br /><br />To be an Insurance Adjuster.....<br /><br />There's Nothing Fair about the Insurance Industry,.....<br />As an Adjuster,.... Your concerns Aren't about being Fair to the Claimant,............<br />It's about How can the Company,....... Not Pay................. :rolleyes:

TilliamWe

Banned

Willy, an as independent, you don't have to play the "bad guy." You investigate, inspect, estimate damages, photograph, document, and report to the insurance carrier. They make any coverage questions.<br />As for the rest of you, well, read an insurance policy sometime, you'll see why it's not easy. And also imagine dealing with the likes of Bondo and Manipulator, times 5, every day! :p

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well maybe they wouldn't have to deal with me and people like me if they weren't trying to screw every person who had a policy. It's all about how much the insurance saves and thats the bottom line. If you are a claims adjuster and aren't saving the company money then you are not going to last long.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

"Willy,....... You just seem like a Man,...<br /><br />Who's Too Honest,.............And,.. Honorable.....<br /><br />To be an Insurance Adjuster....."<br /><br />... or a used car salesman. ;) <br /><br />Bondo, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me. :D

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

Willy Ive Got a Few Numbers Of Marine Companies that you might be intrested in.<br /><br /><br />1: First Marine Insurance Company.<br /> Phone (800) 985-3679<br /><br />2: Auto Owners Insurance<br /> Phone for the Boat Branch (800)346-0346 Ext 1250<br />3: Erie Insurance<br /> Send your Resume to Greg Page At The Erie Waukesha Branch<br />Po Box 867<br />Waukesha, WI 53187<br />Also Contact The Big I Of Wisconsin<br /><br />725 John Nolan Drive<br />Madison, WI 53713<br />(608) 256 4429<br /><br />I Will Try and Find SOme More Info for you later.<br /><br />Also You Might Just Want To Call Progressive