Why not tell me how fast I was going?

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is not a cop rant, but a question. Okay, maybe a bit of whining.<br />I was stopped on the highway last night by the highway Patrol. He told me I was going a "little over the speed limit". He ticketed me for not changing the address on my driver's license ($110 fine :eek: ) but not for speeding. I asked him how fast I was going and he said he couldnt tell me that since he was just giving me a warning. I stated that I thought I was right at the limit and if I was clocked faster I would like to know how much to compensate until I can get my tires changed or speedo fixed or whatever. He said another officer my want to write me a ticket down the road therefore he cannot tell me how fast I was alegedly going. What?<br /> That made no sense at all to me and I suspect he just used speed as an excuse for a random stop. I looked at the fines and a speeding fine and DL address fine were about the same. I feel like he didnt really have me caught until I confessed that the address wasnt current and that I had moved back in August. If he was feeling generous about the speeding I wish his generosity extened to the DL address :) <br /><br />So what is the logic of not telling me the exact nature of the reason for stopping me-my speed.<br /><br />Other than that he was polite, courteous and profesional.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why not tell me how fast I was going?

You're right, he had nothing and he knew it until the DL thing came up. Maybe he's just one of those cops that likes to snoop....

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Does having the wrong address count as a moving violation in your state? Maybe that being on your record won't hurt your insurance like a speeding ticket would. Just a thought.............SS

LubeDude

Admiral

Ive allways thought that you had that guilty look. :p

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you show the court that your license is changed (DO IT ASAP) I bet they will drop the fine. I would thank the cop it sure beats a moving violation on your license and insurance.<br /><br />I was stopped years ago for speeding and the officer wrote me up for faulty equipment. I had it "repaired" and the ticket was dropped.<br /><br />Check your own speedo with a GPS unit. Someone you know probably has one.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree it is better than a speeding ticket, the point is I dont think I was speeding, and the more I think about it, I dont think he thought I was speeding either. <br /><br />My question is: If I were speeding, what possible point could there be in not telling me how fast I was going? <br /><br />I have a hand held GPS and I will double check it. I cruised right by him without any concern like I had done passing dozens of other officers on the highway nad never been stopped.<br /><br />I drive an older but not old looking pickup, clean not dented up and this time I didnt have a load of junk in the back. Curent inspection and I make it a point of pride to drive within the limits of the law (address change not withstanding)<br /><br />I guess I am a little burned because I do make a concientous effort to obey the traffic laws and on any given commute I watch dozens of people pass me at much higher speeds without any [apparent] consequence, but there I am getting a ticket about my address change. <br />On the back of the ticket is a little essay about how trafic safety is their primary concern and traffic violations are the leading cause of accidents, fair enough, but if that's the case then why wasn't I ticketed for this alledged offense (speeding)?<br /><br />I have a whole other set of arguments about being required to update the address but thats a different topic. I will probably update the license and try to get it dropped but I am tempted to ask if I can sit it out in jail and make them feed me for a day instead of me giving them money.

Bondo

Staff member

I think that's call Revenue Enhancement......... ;) :D <br /><br />Why do you think the 1st Question they ask is,.."Do you know why I stopped you??"........

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

wow...sounds like one jerk of a cop. Around here they'll show you the gun with the speed still locked on it if you ask. I heard from someone that it was the law here in IL, but I don't know if thats true or not.<br /><br />Something else I've noticed.....ever since I got a nice, newer looking vehicle, police don't even look in my direction. Back when I drove my $500 POS jeep, I was stared down everywhere I went by the police. Me thinks profiling is alive and well...at least around here.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

A lot of departments have the policy that if they tell you your speed, they have to write a ticket. This is policy handed down from administration.<br />The reason is simple human nature.<br /><br />The reason they won't tell you if they are writing a warning, if they write you a warning for say 70mph in a 60mph, they probably have a reason for writing the warning. Maybe they figured you would learn from a warning and slow down, maybe they figured you were a decent honest person and were one of the thousand that "really didn't know how fast you were going", maybe they were late for doghnut break. <br /><br />Whatever the reason for the warning....the reason for not telling you your actual speed. After getting a ticket for 70mph you go tell all your buddies. The next day your buddy gets stopped for 70 in a 60 expecting a warning "because a friend only got a warning". Turns out it is a different officer, or the driver is a jerk or the speeding is in a school or construction zone.....whatever the reason your buddy gets a ticket. WHat does he do first off....he whines that his friend only got a warning! <br />Final reason why, if a person gets a warning for say 75 ina 60 because the cop is in a great mood. That driver will expect a warning EVERY time and make a habit of driving that speed. <br /> It is all about policy telling or not telling.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I think people don't realize the crap police officers deal with after traffic stops.....<br /><br />Now I am not an officer, but a good friend of mine is, and I talk to him frequently. One of the stories he has told me is when he pulled a lady over for going 14mph over the posted limit. When she drove by him she had no seatbelt on, but when he came to her window she had put it on. He said he was going to ticket her for the seatbelt violation but give her a verbal warning on the speed. She was upset and complained because her seat belt was on. He said I saw you drive by me and it was off, and he repeated that he was giving her a warning and not a ticket on the speed and that there is a BIG difference betwwen the speeding ticket $ and the seatbelt violation. She still was mad and said her seatbelt was on. He asked her if she understood what he was saying and that he was cutting her a huge break. She was still all upset cuz her belt was now on, so he gave her the seatbelt ticket and then the other warning. By the time he got to the station the woman had called saying her verbal insulted her and shouldve given her a ticket if she was speeding........he then got written up for not writing the second ticket.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deputydawgs explanation makes the most sense to me. I still don't believe he had much of a violation on me, 2-3 mph over at most, but nonetheless the explanation has some logic too it and is clearer than how the officer explained it, who was probably anxious to get off the shoulder and back in his car instead of explaining himself to me.