Plasma cutters

petryshyn

Commander
Hi Gents<br />Has anyone had any experience with the low cost plasma cutters found on Ebay? Chiry, Mitec, Riland all look tempting, but I'm hesitant.<br /><br />Any comments?<br /><br />Thanks

brother chris

Commander
Re: Plasma cutters

I want one, but I don't know much about them, but I know there are a few people here that will fill you in.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi schematic! Long time no read! I haven't encountered any of those brands around here. My one friend that works for Hobart (food service branch) said they just bought an off the wall brand unit. I'll check with him later today and ask him what the brand name is on it and how it works.<br /><br />Mine is a Thermal Dynamics. Excellent for the thinner material. It will go through 16 ga stainless/aluminum and 1/8 steel. Not to bad for a 110v unit. I have a few other friends in the fab business I haven't seen for awhile, I'll stop in a see what they have that is new.<br /><br />Good to see a post from you again!

ndemge

Commander

I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but man do I want a plasma cutter!

KRS

Banned

Let's start a thread just for those that want to say "I want one too" :p

petryshyn

Commander

Thanks SS<br />Maybe, if enough people are interested, we could swing a deal with a supplier and do a volume purchase. The units I'm interested in are combo Tig-Plasma-Stick units. They brag a 5/8" sever cut and a smooth 1/2" cut in mild steel. <br />If they are decent, maybe a volume purchase could get the price down. <br /><br />Any others with cheap Plasma experiences?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Randal

oddjob

Commander

Havnt used a plasma cutter in years. But Hobart is a good name in welding and cutting equipment.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I can't recall the name of my dads but I love it for NEW metal. For old metal its really hoovers.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

we have a lincoln at work and it works ok,used to have a hobart until a hood off a cat loader tipped over and took it out. A guy i work with has a thermal dynamics at home and loves it. I would avoid any cheap no name ones on ebay you get what you pay for.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Schematic, I can't remember the model number of the unit, but my bud had a 240 volt Thermal Dynamics cutter. I witnessed him cutting off pivot bushings on dump trucks. That was about an inch and a quarter. It impressed me. Still pricey a bit at $2300 at AGA. It takes a decent size compressor to keep up with it though.<br /><br />If you get the cheaper ones, let us know how they work. I would like to upgrade to something that would at least cut 3/8 steel.

phatmanmike

Captain

we have one at work, i THINK its a lincoln, but it can do up to 1" plate.<br /><br />i should be going to the shop today, ill write down some info from it for ya......

petryshyn

Commander

I have recently ordered a plasma cutter.<br />I will let you know how it performs when it arrives. :)

petryshyn

Commander

Well, now that I'm finished doing cart wheels, I'll share my story! After some research on other people's purchases, I settled on a CHIRY CUT-60. I decided to cut out the "middle man" and ordered direct from the manufacturer in China. It arrived in 4 days!<br /> First job was to cut several rust patches out of a tractor fender I'm restoring. What a treat! It made a perfect cut approx. .030 wide in 18 gauge metal and NO warpage. It cut as fast as you could move the wand! No grinding or clean up required!<br /> Next I wanted to see just how far this thing will go. I whistled through a 3/4" old hitch I had lying around. NO problem! Nice clean cut! I then tried a piece of 1". It cut it but was a slow process.(I believe its called a sever cut)<br /> Over all, this thing rocks. The CUT-40 is probably all I would have needed, which apparently will cut up to 1/2" easily, but for the price I decided to over spec.<br /> If anyone is interested,<br />email chiry@chiry.com.cn and request a price list and website to view the products. You will NOT find a better deal than buying direct!<br />I really wish I would of had this thing years ago. . .

Trent

Captain

Well I contacted them and they wanted 300.00 for the shipping charges. Did you pay that much??<br /><br /><br />Dear Mr Trent,<br /><br />Tks for ur message.<br /><br />The DHL/UPS/FEDX charge of plasma-60 is USD300.00/set.<br /><br />Any question pls feel free to let me know.<br /><br />Best Regards!Happy new year!

petryshyn

Commander

Hi Trent<br /><br />That sounds right. It got here in 4 days. Thats premiem service. A 60 amp plasma for well under a grand (shipping included)is awsome. If you want to cut costs, the 40 amp is probably all you need. It'll be cheaper, lighter and cheaper to ship. Its also a sharp looking unit!<br />I can't say enough good things about my unit!<br /> :)

tommays

Admiral

beware of the BRAND X units if you cant buy consumables for the torch it becomes a boat anchor pretty quick<br /><br />and if you need any repiars on the box it can become a real nightmare<br /><br /><br />tommays