Dell port replicator Updated --Quietcat for President!

TilliamWe

Banned
Ladies and gentlemen, I need your help.<br />I will be using a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop computer in a new business venture. It has a very loose USB port for the printer (that if bumped slightly, causes the printer to not be recognized, it's a hassle). And I will be using this laptop in both my car and in the office. So in order to get around that, I have been told that a "port replicator" or a "docking port" is the way to go. Now I am not totally computer illiterate, but in my search of E-Bay, it seems that I found these items for all but the 4000. So is there a specific model of port replicator I should be looking for? Is there one place that I can tell what replicator my machine will need? And if not, how do I tell what ones on E-Bay may work, without reading the whole description. I have netzero dial up, and that takes a long time. (or is there an "easy" way to fix the USB port?)Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dell port replicator Updated --Quietcat for President!

yep there is an easy way to fix the USB socket, call Dell and get them to replace the motherboard! the port replicator may cover up the problem, but, they can introduce a whole new set of 'features"

Xcusme

Commander

Frankly, if it was mine, I'd resolder the USB port. If you're not up for some soldering work, you might look here:<br /><br /> Link<br />or<br /> Link

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

soldering a laptop motherboard could be a very tricky job because they have multi layer boards and not just "parts on one side, solder on the other"

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might consider buying a USB card for you laptop. It's probably cheaper than a port rep. and a heck of a lot more portable. The USB card is in PCMCIA format. I have one that has 2 USB 2.0 and 2 Firewire connections. Works great and I don't have to luge around another 4 lbs of hardware. A lot easier to use in the car aswell.

TilliamWe

Banned

Guys I think we are going to stay away from soldering or replacing the motherboard. I just need this machine to get the business up & running & to make some money. Hopefully in 6 months I'll buy a brand new machine.<br />Colorado, that sounds like something I could use. ANy idea where i find one for a machine that old?

TilliamWe

Banned

the main reason for the replicator in the office, is so I don't have to plug in the printer, power, and other accessories every time. But, I have done that for years at my previous job.<br />What other problems can the replicator lead to, noel?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

There is a lot of those docking stations available at Ebay.<br /><br />Do a search using the dell part number.<br /><br />Model PRX , Dell p/n 7345U<br />Fits laptop models: series 4000/8000/8100/8200 <br /><br />
dd_12_sb.JPG

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TW:<br /><br />You can find them at most any computer\electronics shop. The one I bought is a off brand and cost me $40 CDN. Probabley cheaper where you are. The docking station in the office is great and solves your USB issue but it doesn't do anything for you while you are away. The major benifit to the "card" is mobility ie. camera etc. Basically anything that is USB away from the office. Just ask for a USB adaptor in PC Card format. The CSR's should know what you are talking about. Also ensure that the card is XP compatible (PnP). With mine, I did not need to install any extra drivers. They were all native to WinXP.<br /><br />Hope you find a solution that works for you.<br /><br />C04

QC

Supreme Mariner

TilliamWe,<br /><br />I have a 7345U in my hand that I don't need anymore. I'll send it to you if you want. It was for an Inspiron 8100, same as the pic above. I have an extra charger too, can't find the stand thingee, but I think it is around here somewhere.<br /><br />Too bad, I was in Peoria two weeks ago . . .

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TW:<br /><br />One thing I forgot to mention is that you can use the card on future laptops regardless of what brand. So long as there is a PC slot availible. The docking stations are Man\Mod specific.

TilliamWe

Banned

Colorado (from Canada, I love it!) thanks for the wealth of info. I too was worried about the bulk of the replicator in the car. I think I use a replicator in the office & try the thing you suggest in the car. Sounds like exactly what I need! :D <br /><br />AMD thanks for the part numbers! :) <br /><br />QC, I would love for you to send it to me. How can I send you a note with my address and stuff?<br />But, you were here two weeks ago, and you didn't let me know ahead of time?? :confused: My boat was still in the water, you could've toured P-Town by water! :p ;) Maybe next year?!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I actually gave you a clue or two when I said sumpin' about Big Al's a coupla weeks ago . . . Anyway, was with the Boss and tight schedule. Story of my life the last 10 years, but no prah. Here's my email addy, but I want to take it down pretty quickly if ya know what I means . . .

TilliamWe

Banned

I remember that, but you didn't say you were gonna be there. What's a guy from LA doing business in little 'hick town' Peoria?? Got anything to do with Big Yellow?<br /><br />Got your address. Sending you a note now.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I know I didn't' actually say I as gonna be there . . .<br /><br />Yeah, The Great Yellow Father. I've been involved with Cat for my entire career. First with the L.A. Dealer and now as kinda a partner. Not going real well right now though. They're done playing with Natural Gas which is what we do for trucks.<br /><br />I've been to Peoria a bunch of times. I have family in Avon too . . . Got the email

TilliamWe

Banned

Thank you all for the info. Especially AMD & Colorado. I am using the port replicator in the car. Colorado, I will probably go your route when I buy my own laptop, hopefully in the near future. But for now, the replicator will work almost perfectly with the Auto Exec workstation I plan to use in the right front seat. AMD, thanks to you, QC realized he had the replicator I needed. And...<br /><br />THANKS to Quietcat!! I now have my computer hooked up to my new port replicator & it works well! And at no expense to me! (which is totally unnecessary, please see my post in the "is it weird" thread.) "For he's a jolly good fellow...!!!"

TilliamWe

Banned

QC, just wanted to say, I've used the port replicator in the car about 5 times since you sent it, and it is awesome! Now I got an external floppy drive & can hook it up at the same time the printer is hooked up. It's sweet!!!!<br /><br />Thanks Again!