Meat Merinade/Tenderizer

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Don't know if any of you have seen units that you can marinade using vacuum. Anyway, I made my own using a vacuum pump and a stainless steel canister. The first time I tried it, the steaks were great. I didn't pay attention to the old merinade inside the canister. I just pitched over the hill for the varmits to lick up. <br /><br />The second time I tried it, I noticed a thick layer of oil on top of the merinade. My thoughts were that it migrated from the pump back into the cannister. But how since it is under a vacuum? So I was bummed that I wasted two nice angus steaks :( I pitched the steaks thinking they were contaminated by the pump oil.<br /><br />After trying to figure out what I did wrong, I remembered that the electric to the dock was interupted for about a minuet. Figured that is what caused the oil to get back into the cannister.<br /><br />So today I thought I would try it again. Well, this time it also had a layer of oil on top of the merinade. My wife thinks it is the grease or oil being brought out of the meat. <br /><br />SO to try to figure out what is up. I cleaned out the cannister and put nothing in it but a couple of napkins. Ran the pump for about 30 minuets and the inside of the cannister has no signs of oil.<br /><br />So here is my question, "Can oil be pulled out of meat when it is put into a vacuum? I hate to give this thing up because it does make a world of diffence in the tenderness and taste of the steak. Even cheap round steak turns out great.<br /><br />Any thoughts??????? Thanks

one more cast

Captain
Re: Meat Merinade/Tenderizer

I never get any oil with my foodsaver. I never checked it but I'm sure there is not much vacuum. Are you running the pump all the while? if so try installing a check valve so yo can just create and hold a little vacuum with the pump off.<br /><br /> Or maybe use some sort of eatable oil in your pump.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

OMC, I keep the pump running. I'm using an old pump that I used for pumping down refrigeration systems. I did think about taking the pump apart and having all the parts put in a bead tumbler/cleaned. Then sanitize the parts, put it back together and use vegetable oil. <br /><br />I've just never noticed oil in the merinade before. I'm still baffled on how the oil could travel back into the cannister. :confused: <br /><br />Maybe I am pulling too much on it. Its time for me to buy new manifold guage set. Then I'll have a set for my marinade machine. :)

ndemge

Commander

Don't know about your problem, but I've always wondered about merinating under pressure...<br /><br />Does it make a difference using a vacume?<br /><br />..and what would be the difference between a vacume vrs pressure?

Pony

Rear Admiral

It definately makes a difference under vacuum. The meat fibers are pulled apart allowing the marinade to get deeper into the meat tissue, while also marinating much more quickly. I use a Food Saver all the time for this, and have never had as much sucess marinating with anything else...<br /><br />Can't help with the pressure idea, but i can't see how applying pressure will have the same effect on the meat fibers.<br /><br />BTW, my fave vacuum marinade consists of a clove of garlic chooped, one orange peeled and diced.... combine with the steak you are about to marinate in the container, and fill the remaining space with other orange juice and other spices.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Like OMC, I do a lot of meat in our Foodsaver. Never seen oil. What's in the marinade?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I use soy, worschester, teryaki, and garlic. I might try putting a valve on top of the cannister and see if it holds a vacuum. Thanks