Garage Door Opener..

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class
My garage door will not open anymore. Looking at the inside of the door under the motor I have a broken spring and a broken cable on the right side? Is this something I can buy and replace or should I call someone when I can afford to. :confused:

ndemge

Commander
Re: Garage Door Opener..

Do you have the big coil spring that goes from left-right over the door?<br /><br />You can do this yourself, if you are VERY carefull and preferably have someone that has done it before, pry bar that fits in the holes to turn the spring, round and round.... one bad move and it takes your head off.<br /><br />If it's the kind with a spring on each side of the door, you can just get those at home depot for about $10 and replace in 2 minutes.

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have the torsion style (it is a bit hard to tell from your description) I hesitate to share this, because in the wrong hands, you could get really hurt... so, I won't be responsible for the adequacy of the instructions at this website...<br /><br /> http://truetex.com/garage.htm <br /><br />But I found this guys write up helpful before I tackled my torsion spring replacements. I should note that there is a tool available that is like a rachet which replaces using individual bars for loading the torsion spring tension.<br /><br />Locally (I live close to you) I used this company for my replacement parts:<br /><br /> http://www.twincitygaragedoor.com <br /><br />Good luck and think real seriously if you feel you have the mechanical ability and calmness under pressure to tackle this.<br /><br />funpilot

ndemge

Commander

yeah, to backup what funpilot said incase I didn't express it in my post..... on wrong move and you kill yourself. <br /><br />cheers :)

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

there are two springs in the middle, the one on the right is broken.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fun pilot.... that link is my exact setup same motor even. Whats with thirty pages of instruction can't I just buy a spring for a two car garage door and put the thing in with my boatin buddy. Since the boats ready to go and the lakes aren't we needd something to do. :)

Drowned Rat

Captain

notinbig, most places that sell these springs will only sell them to contractors because of the liability. They are very dangerous and not all that easy to install. Hire a pro to do that job.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Drowned Rat, Any clue what it's going to cost me for a guy and the parts?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Mine broke last year. A guy came out and replace both of them for 75 dollars. He said if one goes the other is not far behind. I priced the spring at Fleet Farm for 20 bucks. It did not seem worth the risk of death or a lost hand to save 25 bucks in labor.<br /><br />Call All Seasons Garage Door Co phone 763-755-0210. They were very accomidating on scheduling a time

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

All Season Garage Door-- One spring -$125<br /> Both -165<br /> Both springs and both cables-205<br />Not bad for a "Professional"

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Wow! My memory is not as good as I thought it was. I could have swore it was 75 bucks.<br /><br />I watched the guy do mine and it looked pretty simple and it took him about a half hour to do it. He told me that correct spring pressure was key and after you do about 10 or 20 of them it is a piece of cake. He did tell me it is very dangerous because when you loosen the bolts if you dont have the spring locked down it will spin at a very fast rate. Also if you dont have sensors at the bottom of your garage he may not be able to work on it. These are the sensors that stop the garage from going down if the light beam is broken.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the sensors there. and I got the other cable hooked up so I am going to have them do both srpings on monday. for 165 it ain't worth the co-pay at the hospitol!!?!?!?!? YA KNO! By the way, know of any open water(other than the rivers)???