CV joints can be saved

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
The CV joints are really clicking in the Wife's 92 Acura Integra.<br /><br />The boot on one side has been split open for about a year. Can I pump a bunch of grease in there and tape it up to get a few more miles, or am I wasting my time?<br /><br />They were replaced about 20,000 miles ago, before we bought it.<br /><br />Ken

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: CV joints can be saved

IMO a waste of time. New C/V joints are cheap - reconditioned even cheaper. Think of the mess around the brakes and wheel and that stuff ain't easy to degrease.<br /><br />Regreasing it will not shut it up - the damage is done.<br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> The boot on one side has been split open for about a year.
Depending on the conditions, as little as a week, with a split boot, will lead to CV failure. Replace them and inspect the boots regularly.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

What exactly fails and why do they click?<br /><br />Ken

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

there are ball bearings or rollers between the cv-joint yokes. When the grease is gone out the cracked boots, dirt gets in and wears on the surfaces creating a clearance. as the joint turns, the surfaces bang back and forth making the clicking you hear. <br /><br />If you catch the cracking in the boots soon enough, you can put on a split boot that seals and sometimes you don't even have to take the axle out.<br /><br />JD

Dunaruna

Admiral

Even C/Vs' with good boots wear out and start clicking. Majority of the time the wheels are in the straight ahead position, the ball bearings & cages develop a 'flat' in the area that they mostly reside (straight). Also the case hardening wears away in those areas which in turn speeds up the wear process. Foreign matter (water/dirt/snow) further accelerates the wear process. Eventually the C/V may sieze and on rare occasions - snap! The vibrations caused by a worn C/V can also shorten the life of the stub axle bearings & diff bearings, not to mention tyre wear, bad handling............<br /><br />Aldo

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

On my 1970 VW bus the rear CVs could be removed, serviced and turned around for another 50 to 75K.<br /><br />Don't know if Acura CVs are similar or not.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I no longer mess around changing a cv joint and boot. most places now its cheaper to get the whole shaft with new joints and boots etc. that way everything is clean and balanced. the last ones i did were about 50 bucks for the assembly exchange. the joint/boot kit was 80 or so. if they are clicking replace the whole assembly

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Same here jimr<br />Threw me for a loop that it was cheaper to get the whole thing than just a part of it!<br /><br />My CV joint actually came apart on me though. For some reason my car would na go no mo<br /><br /><br />AK Chappy