Best Paint Brand

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What brand of paint do you use for interior painting?<br /><br />I *HATE* painting but it needs done, so I want to do it right the first time.<br /><br />Consumer Reports said Behr at Home Depot was the best so I tried it. It's probably the worst paint I've ever used.<br /><br />Duron seems popular with the painters I've talked to around here.<br /><br />I'd be willing to pay a little more to get better results.<br /><br />Thanks!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Best Paint Brand

I've have had good luck with Sherwin Williams paint. A boss had me use Martha Stewarts paint one time, and it was the worst I've ever used.<br /><br />Sometimes when painting it is not always the paints fault. Going from a dark color to a light color sometimes needs a primer coat and cigarette smoke covered walls will need it to. First thing is cleaning the walls. Most important part. Painting over dirt will cause the paint to fail plus stains can come through the new paint.<br /><br />JMO, good luck on your project....

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Benjamin Moore, Glidden, Behr, Ace... any of the top of the line paints from just about all the big companies are good paint... Devoe, Dutch Boy. I've used the top line WalMart paint with good results. Good prep and a primer does wonders for your paint job.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Sherwin Williams ProMar 200<br />Pratt and Lambert Accolade<br />The top of the line True Value paint is good also.<br /><br />Behr paint is absolute garbage.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> I have used Sherwin Williams mostly but I have had really good results with Valspar also. Valspar web site
If you are painting your car there is nothing like Valspar's "House of Color" paint.<br /><br />And if your from Minnesota we use Hirchfields paint. :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Housepaint is a very regional thing, ie, paints that work well in hot and arid regions aren't always the best paints to use when painting your house in Seattle. My advice to you is to quizz the local painters, as you have done, and go with their recommendations. just a thought :)

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by ggoody:<br />
Originally posted by One More Cast:<br /> I have used Sherwin Williams mostly but I have had really good results with Valspar also. Valspar web site
If you are painting your car there is nothing like Valspar's "House of Color" paint.<br /><br />And if your from Minnesota we use Hirshfields paint. :)

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

My father-in-law was a professional painter for years. When ever he did any at my house, he always seemed to favor Glidden.<br /><br />fp

LubeDude

Admiral

"Rodda", May be a west coast brand, Absolutly the best I have ever seen and I have painted lots of appartments. One coat on smoke covered walls and ceilings after washing.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your experience is the opposite of mine. Behr has become my "go to" paint for most interior work. <br />Use good paint, not the cheapest.

KaGee

Admiral

I absolutly love the EASY LIVING LIFETIME latex grade from SEARS. For the money, I don't think there is a better alternative. No brush or roller drag, excellent working time, excellent coverage, great durability and washability. Did my dad's house, my house, son's house all with great results.<br /><br />Tried the others. I won't buy anything else now.

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wal-mart is the best value thanks to their high volume buying power. It usually covers in one coat and my wife claims it doesn't stink as bad as other paints!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I know a few "Top end " painters and they ONLY use Benjanin Moore.Charlie

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

seems like everybody is gonna like a diferent brand. Every painter I ever met, and there's alot of 'em, say's they are a "top end" painter". Gone thru about a dozen of those types in the last 4 years. I'd still find the local favorite paint js...just a thought :)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the input.<br /><br />The local pro painters around here use Duron but I was wondering if that's because they get the best price on it and can mark it up more or maybe it goes on easier but might not give the best end result.<br /><br />I've been doing a lot of small projects around the house and I do like Duron. I'll buy some Shirwin Williams (also popular around here) and maybe some Dutch Boy (they have the best paint container - it's got a roller grate built right into the container!) and see what works best ... my fiance talked me into painting the inside of the house over the winter and it looks like we'll be painting lots of "colors"..(ugh..)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Painters use the painting products that get the job done easily and quickly. Painters are the laziest working people alive. I'm sure this is because they don't paint for the joy of painting, but for the money. With the lot of quality paints and painting accessories available today there's no reason to do a poor job. <br />I'm not gonna recommend a brand but I will say that my sister, whom lives in a beach house, paints the inside of her house at least everyother year. Mostly for colorchange(lots of intense colors). She has used Homedopey's house brand the last 2 times and says it's the best she ever used. I've never used it so I don't know...go figger.
11.gif

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Consumer Reports rated various brands of paints not too long ago. What was interesting was that the quality results varied by color (eg, one brand might have had great results with red but only average ones with white). Might be worth a quick trip to the library to check out the article.