Pooch Problem

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Just lately, Keeper my Lab/Newfy mix has been snipping at my grandkids. I watched him last night snip at my grandaughter. He didn't make contact with her, but went through the motion. Two weeks ago he snipped my 8 year old grandson on the arm, but didn't break any skin. With him, I thought he was tormenting the dog teasing him.<br /><br />Last night though, with my grandaughter, she was just petting him. Nothing unusual on the way she plays with him. After he did that, I smacked on his backside with a rolled up newspaper and sent him to bed. I just hope this can be corrected before he hurts someone. The family really loves this dog a lot, plus he is my bud. <br /><br />Any ideas on how to correct him at this?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Pooch Problem

It is usually a good idea with kids ,to let the dog come to them to be pet or played with when that happens.What ever the problem is probably wont happen unless the child goes to the dog.It is also a good idea to have the kids give the pooch a milk bone or treat on occasion this way the pooch looks forward to seeing them.Charlie

LubeDude

Admiral

It could also be that he isnt feeling well. Look him over real well and push around on him to see if he has any unusual sore spots. If they are in some kind of pain, its normal for them to be tempermental. Is he acting normal when the kids are gone?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is not unusual for "pecking order" instincts to trigger jealousy in a man's dog.<br /><br />He may feel that he is the Beta in your "pack" and resents "upstarts".<br /><br />If this is the case, he is "reminding" the younguns that they are of inferior rank and he is #2.<br /><br />My cat resents anyone else in my house and is particularly hostile toward my grandchildren. She is not stupid enough to attack them (tried that once with very unpleasant consequences) but she tells them they are unwelcome in HER house. Cats clearly aren't dogs, but they share territorialism.<br /><br />The only suggestion I have is for the Alpha male(you) to severely discipline the dog for asserting superiority over any human. I think you did that, and I would repeat the rolled paper and verbal rebuke whenever he shows any signs. Don't fear eroding your relationship with Keeper, canid ethics forbid him to be offended if the Alpha disciplines him.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Charlie, Keeper usually hangs around the kids about 90% of the time. He is real protective over them. (babysitter in a fur coat) They climb, push/pull, wrestle, and do just about anything to him. THis is why we can't understand why he does what he does. It isn't often, but once or twice is too much as far as I'm concerned.<br /><br />Lubedude, You might have the answer why he behaved the way he did. It was hot, he hadn't had his daytime nap, and he was with the kids all day long. We think he was tired and just got irritable. Just like Mama and Papa get when they are at the house all day long. Thats the nice thing about grandkids, you know you can send them home when your tired of them.<br /><br />JB, Thinking about your post makes a lot of sense. After I swatted him, he didn't want anything to do with me. It was like he was mad at me. However after a day or two he is back to his stick to dad like glue routine.<br /><br />We feel that he spends all day alone in the house. Carl is to move out in August. Then we are going to get a full blooded Newfy. We think that this will occupy his time during the day. Just not sure how he will accept a new dog into the house. He was neutured as a pup, so he shouldn't be high strung as a male dog would be. He does get along well with most dogs, but not all.<br /><br />Thanks guys, your great!.....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Hope the 2 pooch idea works out for you,unfortunately you never know.That is exactly how we got out beautiful Maine-coon kitten last year.A family had a purebreed Maincoon and wanted to get her a playmate.They purchased another purebreed from one of the best breeders and as it turned out the new kitty was not accepted by the one already there.She hated the new kitty.So after spending over $1200 on her including spaying they were forced to put her up for adoption and we were lucky enough to have found out about her.We had just lost our 8yr old maine coon and were not over the shock of it yet when she became available.I guess it was meant to be .Her name is Simi and she has been with us for a little over a year now.Last night an owl was considering having Simi for dinner but I was a little faster on the trigger of my bb rifle than the owl .I have never seen anything like that before but it was obvious the owl was getting into a good position for a strike.Simi did not see him BUT I DID...Charlie

dcwm

Cadet

SS MAYFLOAT.....I like that..haha<br /><br />I had to send my best friend of 6 years packin outside last year because of the very same thing you are talking about. I consulted a professional that explained the pecking order thing and told me what ever I do not to let the dog alone with the kids.<br /><br />Long story short, I had to weigh my priorities and of course my kids were far more important and it just wasn't worth the chance.<br /><br />He now runs outside in a fenced in 3 acre area, I miss him badly being in the house but have to remind myself that the alternative could be disastrous.<br /><br />By the way,<br />The fenced in area is one of those buried wire invisable wire fences and it works very well.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

By the way,<br />The fenced in area is one of those buried wire invisable wire fences and it works very well. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />
How exactly does this work? I've been thinking of something like this for my two dogs. As of now we have to tie them up at night due to the fact they like to go visiting and we can't have that. So, what can you tell me?<br /> Sorry for the hijack,SSMayfloat. <br />Bassy

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

JB is exactly right and that sort of behavior usually starts at 2-3 years of age and gets worse as they get older. Dogs will always try to move up in pack rank when newer member are introduced. They really don't discriminate between other dogs or humans. They are indeed pack animals and will always retain some of the charactaristics of such.

dcwm

Cadet

Originally posted by Bassy:<br />
By the way,<br />The fenced in area is one of those buried wire invisable wire fences and it works very well. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />
How exactly does this work? Bassy
Bassy,<br /><br />Well first of all there is many different types on the market now, some don't need a buried wire.<br /><br />Mine is the buried wire type from Radio fence (they have been very good to me). The buried wire is a transmitter and the collar is a receiver...it's that simple. When the receiver(collar) gets in range of the adjustable width of the buried wire signal it sets off the collar and administers a "mild correction". I use one that takes a 9 volt battery ^not very mild^, you can get them very slim and hardley noticable that use watch batteries.<br /><br />To bury the wire I took the tines off my rear tine tiller, hose clamped a piece of tubing bent almost 90 degrees at the bottom to the height adjustment piece, hung the roll of wire (THHN AWG18) from a dowl rod laying on the handle bars, fed the wire down through the tubing, start the tiller and take off. The height adjustment piece will slice the ground and the wire will lay right in the slice. In a couple weeks you can't tell where you put it.<br /><br />I have had different dogs on this system since 1991 and swear by it because it's great to know the dogs are contained on my property and they can run around. *good security system too*<br /><br />If I can help you anymore let me know, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.<br /><br /> http://www.radiofence.com

FLATHEAD

Commander

The guys hit it right on the head. If the dog has a dominate temperament, that will be there forever. He probably knows that you are the boss, but that wont stop him from challenging the other members in the family to establish his spot in the order. If the dog See's the kids as a subordinate it could get ugly. I would watch the situation very closely.<br /><br />My last dog was great with my kids and all adults, she always got a little squirrelly around non family member children under 10 years old. She didn't mind them petting her for a minute or two but when she had enough she would walk away, but when they persisted and would follow her ( you know how little kids are) she got very annoyed. Never bit, but growled a few times. I Always locked her in another room when small kids were visiting in the last few years we had her.<br /><br />Good luck, sorry I dont have any real advise as to how to stop what the dog is doing.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

got the same hidden fence system, they work great. heres a couple of thoughts. <br />1 the wire (attenea) need not be burried, i ran a section on by barbed wire fence.<br />2 they will work with any animal you put the collar on, very effective with goats. <br />3 when buying be wary of the batteries they use. expensive customs, rechargeable in or out of the collar. <br />4 the do not constitue a fence in a legal definition. they are not a physical barrier. dogs can run pass them, strays can entering the compound. and they fail the test of confinement for a leash law. <br /> one of my hats is animal control officer.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

on the behavior issue, the previous replys are all on the money<br /> Don’t mention his age. Could have arthritis, maybe a slight hearing loss, or eyesight loss, a catarac that makes him prone to being startled. <br /> CAUTION, one of my nieboring colleagues adopted out a golden retriever to a family and it nipped a child. He resigned, the family sued and the insurance carrier and settle 125k overruled the township on fighting the case. For the child being traumatized. No visible scares?

dcwm

Cadet

Wajajaja,<br /><br />That's exactly right about not having to be buried however, if the wire is within a foot or so of an energized fence wire a capacitance charge can occur causing the antenna to act funny. I just installed 1000' on my lifetime fence, called tech. support first and this is what they told me.<br /><br />As far as the battery, like I said above I purchased the strongest ( 9volt) collar I could find and it makes a believer out of the dog when he got to close (once) :) I have had dogs run through using the other less potent collars.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Broke dad, your right, and once they learn they don't forget too soon, but they will test it once in a while. I have six goldens, and they seem to only run off as a pair, pretty much rapped up in their play and the ATTRACTIVE NUIANCE across the street, elementary school, love affection. So I often keep a live collar on one and a dummy on another. Works, and at 6.50 a battery for 25days or less if they go for swim it works. <br /> Unfortunately I did have to cite a owner whose dog would run up to the curb and scare passersby that were intimidated by the barking dog even though it did not leave the lawn, radio fence worked, but dog was not physically secure and owner not present.