The sagga continues!

LubeDude

Admiral
I thought I had the cooling problem fixed on the Panters, only to find that the system really wasnt holding a decent amount of preasure in the cooling system. Kept puking water out of the overflow when it got warm. Tried different radiator caps only to find the same problem. Thanks to the Pantera International Message Board (Pantertas answer to Iboats) and there search feature, I find that the preasure tank has a european design on the filler neck and it is deeper than the american designs, thus not letting the cap deliver the amount of preasure it was designed for. The fix? Take tank to radiator shop and have an american style neck put on it. Cheap, and problem solved! Now what?? Just once Id like to drive this car more than 10 miles without a problem!

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: The sagga continues!

I know a guy who has one too, and from what I've heard and seen, they require more maintance time per hour driven than an old aircraft. Seems like everytime he takes it out, something breaks or a new problem pops up. I've never figured out why people put up with a vehicle that is so prone to problems and pay what they do for one, not that I would turn one down if it was priced at what I thought they were worth. :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, this car is one of many in the collection and wont see many miles, but it would be nice to be able to get more than 10 miles out of town once in a while. This is not surprising, not to me anyway, as I have done many restorations, and it seems to be the norm after actually building a car from the ground up. This car wasnt road worthy when he bought it, at least now most of it is new, we just need to get the right combination. Its just a slow process sometimes!<br /><br />You cant drive it if you cant push in the clutch!<br /><br />You cant drive it if you cant shift it right!<br /><br />You cant drive it if it doesnt run right!<br /><br />You cant drive it if it overheats!<br /><br />You cant drive it if it wont stop!<br /><br />So far, thats pretty much covered!<br /><br />I guess thats why I have a job!

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps not entirely trouble free. But I hear one can be purchased and be almost entirely restored for the price of a ring and valve job of a lot of the true high perf Ferrari's. And a much less expensive tuned Pantera can run with the full Italian cars. Love that good old American rumble, too. What an awesome car.... But problem for me would be a 10 mile test drive would be over waaaay too soon and might be followed by a black and white car with red and blue lights on top following well behind.... :)<br />Well, at least it would require some serious self discipline to avoid that happening.