rear hatch on Jeep Cherokee won't open

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class
My wife has a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport and suddenly the rear hatch won't open. The powr lock operates and when you use the key you can hear and feel it turn. When you lift the handle however there is no resistance and nothing happens. Any ideas what is wrong or how I can get it open to look around? Thanks guys.

ezbtr

Commander
Re: rear hatch on Jeep Cherokee won't open

Originally posted by neil2fish:<br />My wife has a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport and suddenly the rear hatch won't open. The powr lock operates and when you use the key you can hear and feel it turn. When you lift the handle however there is no resistance and nothing happens. Any ideas what is wrong or how I can get it open to look around? Thanks guys.
Ive got two 92;s, sounds like something got bent? Perhaps GENTLE prying w screwdriver to flip mech? Thats what i would try, and then lube it well and straighten/replace. Heinz

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The linkage from the handle to the latch has either broke or has came off.<br />You will have to get the inside panel off to get to the latch to undo it manually.

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I thought SBN. I just didn't know how to get to it. Does the panel just screw off from the inside?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Don't know for sure. I have never had to take neither one of mine off.<br />It may just snap in like some door panels do, but I would think there are some screws to help hold it on and they would be accessible with hatch closed if I'm not mistaken.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

It's happened to Mr. Bomar's 94 Cherokee Sport before.<br />Crawl into the back and there are a couple of screws in the inside hatch panel.<br />Remove them and it comes right off.

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like in the '97 you can't get the panel off without the hatch open :confused: . called my mechanic and he said about the same thing. I'm thinking this panel is costly and maybe I should break the rear handle and go in from there. The only thing more costly than a boat is the wifes car :rolleyes:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by neil2fish:<br />Looks like in the '97 you can't get the panel off without the hatch open :confused: . called my mechanic and he said about the same thing. I'm thinking this panel is costly and maybe I should break the rear handle and go in from there. The only thing more costly than a boat is the wifes car :rolleyes:
I have a '96, I will check it and see what I can see on it.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Neil,<br />I have a '98 too (its a classic instead of a sport but I think it should be the same). Just went out and looked at mine, and it appears you can do this from the inside with the door still closed, removing the cosmetic panel to get to the latch.<br />There's 8 total phillips head screws holding the panel on, all of which can be accessed from the inside with the hatch still closed. The first four screws are easy and are along the top of the hatch.<br />The other four screws consist of two on each side. I would start by folding down the rear seat and removing the spare tire from the inside and getting it out of the way. Now, look/feel along each side for the two screws on that side. The topmost screw on the side is the hardest to get too, because it is behind the gas strut. You will need to move the gas struts out of the way by removing the two bolts on their top mounts. Be careful, because these struts are under pressure! I don't know how much pressure, so be careful so you don't get hurt. Once you move the top of the gas strut out of the way you should be able to get to the top screw on the side. Its too tight to get a regular screwdriver in there, but I'm thinking that using a phillips head bit (like used in power screwdrivers) stick it in there and then put a wrench that fits on the hex end of the bit so you can turn it. I don't know if the screw is too long to back out all the way. If you want to go this route, let me know and I'll go back out one of the screws and let you know if its too long or not(my hatch opens :D ). THe bottom screw on each side is pretty accessible.<br />Anyhow, those 8 screws are all that holds that panel on, there are no screws underneath. You should be able to remove those 8 screws and pull off the panel from the inside to get at the latch.<br />Let me know how it goes in case the same happens to me! :eek:

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Guys, I'll be working on it this weekend and I'll let you know what I find.

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not a good day for the home team. Got most of the screws out except the two behind the struts because you can't get the second bolt out of the bracket with the strut closed over it. Thought I'd try to get the bottom of the panel pulled away enough to catch the linkage and pop the hatch but I couldnt get it to budge. There must be some kind of clips that hold the bulk of the panel on. Not knowing where they were or if there was a special tool used to reach them I felt it was prudent not to yank and start bustin' em all up. When I take it to Jeep or my own mechanic I'll keep an eye on them and let y'all know how they did it. Thanks for your help fellas!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

This may sound lame but try hitting unlock on your remote several times and check the hatch each time.Then lock and unlock it several times again.You may get lucky.When it is locked it will feel just like it is disconnected when you try to open it .Charlie

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guess I didn't think about backing out the bolts holding the gas struts on.<br />Maybe, before you go to the (st)dealer $ :eek: , price how much a new set of struts cost. Maybe economical to cut the darn things with a dremel or hacksaw, again being mindful of the pressure.<br />Good luck and let us know what happens.

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Crazy Charlie I tried that already both with the key and the remote. You can hear the action slide back and forth in the door but still nothing. My regular mech. and his father do body work also and they are going to take a look at it. Ed (the father), says he may just break the handle from the outside as it would be relatively cheaper to replace. We'll know better soon.