Who makes the best waverunners?

squale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It seems like Sea Doo is by far the leader in waverunners, is that true? I also see some Yamaha's for sale too..<br /><br />Are Sea Doo's overpriced compared to the competition?<br /><br />also, why don't they make 2-strokes anymore? Are the 4-stroke engines much better now?

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Who makes the best waverunners?

Well, I must admit this is heresay from a mechanic. He said that Sea Doo is the most popular, but also is in the shop more than any other bike. I don't remember him mentioning any other name brand, he said they were all good, all had their flaws, and all had their good points. This was a decade before the first Honda wetbike rolled off the line, so I would assume it's a step above the rest, as they are with everything else they make.<br /><br />Is one brand overpriced compared to another? That's an opinion. I'll tell you what, the 1996 Sea Doo XP (that yellow missle) outran my bike like it was standing still.<br /><br />The EPA is cracking down on all 2 strokes, and wetbikes are no different. The 4's can make the exhaust emissions tests, the 2's cant. Pretty simple.

tommays

Admiral

Anything with a ROTEX motor IMHP<br /><br /><br />tommays

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe only Yamaha makes the WaveRunners. <br /><br />SeaDoo makes Several different types of Personal Water Craft (PWC), such as the RXP, GTX, and and GTI. <br /><br />Kawasaki makes the JetSki in several different models, such as the traditional stand-up model or the 2-3 person models.<br /><br />Therefore, Yamaha is the leader in WaveRunners, as they are the only company that makes them.

squale

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are the 2 strokes much faster than the 4 strokes? do you have to mix the oil into the gas manually before filling the engine? or does it inject the oil for you?<br /><br />what motors have more problems, 2 or 4 strokes?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I work at a dealership that sells Kawasaki and Sea Doo. They are all excellent machines when brand new! Fast, ton's of power some in excess of 215+HP. Here is where the problem is.... people fail to do the proper maintenance until they break down. So, IMO if you purchase any used machine be sure you get a warranty. I would never purchase a used one from a non dealer or a private party. <br /><br />Most of the maintenance is a pain in the *** because you must work through the access hatch. The mechanics here hate that work due to the motor being tucked in so far.<br /><br />Most of the impellar work I have seen is a direct result of a dumb or rookie rider. With all that power it is not adviseable to nail the throttle when the water pick up is close to gravel!! I have seen golf ball size rocks removed from them.<br /><br />99.9% are oil injected and there is an oil tank. You mix nothing. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke is very similar to saying are you an earth friendly person or not!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to PWC Forum.

pinbodean

Seaman Apprentice

There's a reason 80% of the rental fleets are Yamahas..........

D

DJ

I have a Yamaha and a Sea Doo. The Doo is one year older.<br /><br />The Sea Doo has been trouble free since day one. The Yamaha is the most unreliable machine I have ever owned. Not to mention it porpoises so bad as to be almost unrideable.<br /><br />I also had an older Kawasaki Tigershark. It was underpowered but it was a whole lot more reliable than the Yam.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I just purchased a sea doo 4tec gtx ltd, I love it, had 2 strokes for years, hated the 787 and 951 engines liked the 720 model and still own 2 of those. I ride them really hard ,jump waves all the time.pull skiers, and log a bunch of hours on mine. They all have their short commings, but stick with the major brands, and service them properly.

bbuurma

Cadet

i would say yamaha.the dealership i work at sells seadoo waverunner and recently kawasaki. i pass through the garage and a few bikes but all 93-05 seadoo. a few older yamah and the occasional kawasaki.
Ive had really bad experiences with seadoo.

caden

Recruit

I have a 05 Yamaha VX110 Deluxe w/45 hrs on it that has been in and out of the shop since June 5.
I bought Yamaha because of my research on our lake with other owners. Most own Seadoo but said they would go with Honda or Yamaha.
Yamaha owner relations has been no help. Said they would send tech to help dealer. 2 wks later still no scheduled visit. Gave dealer 3 new things to try yesterday,so dealer ordered parts. Owner relations said there was nothing else they could do

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

the 05 had a bunch of recalls on it, one was for the steering helm binding up and another was the computers starting on fire while you rode the thing, there were some other items also, my problem with it is the looks, hate the nose, and the power,,, way too underpowered for me, even the 155hp 4tec seems a bit under powered. I like the sea doo gti 4 stroke, BUT the colors would gag a maggot. I hope they loose those colors next year.the colors are so loud they hurt my ears.someone was tripping when they came up with those.

piratedude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what is your problem caden w/ your mach? i have a 05 and it runs great! no problems and yamaha reliable. i have had sea doo's and think they suck. expensive to fix and always in the shop.