1991 See Doo SP- should I do it?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Got a chance to buy this boat, real cheap. looks good, runs only if you dump gas straight into the carbs. I know, its will take some work, but I am handy and have access to mechanics. Also, this boat will get used very little, just want it as a backup. My question is <br /><br />1) What do I need to look for?<br />2) Will I have trouble finding parts?<br />3) Is it worth it? under $1,000<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />MAX

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1991 See Doo SP- should I do it?

Heck no it is worth about 300 dollars at best don't put that sort of cash in a old ski with obsolete hull and pump design not to mention fuel problems,I just sold a 96 sp with a trailer for 1000 and it needed nothing, ran perfect, and had been garaged all it's life so it looked great.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, despite your advice, I bought it. I got a very, very good deal. Question I have is, how do I find an owner's manual, guide book to repairs? Also, is there anything I should look for regarding general condition of the motor, hull, etc.?<br /><br />Thanks,

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

you can get a service manual from s b t in clearwater fl

CFronzek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Big question; is the pump any good? It wouldn't hurt to get a peak inside the pump to see how it's held up over all these years. Skis a lot newer than what you have lose pumps to damage or corrosion all the time.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

that is true, however those old aluminum housings corrode and deform , plus they get frozen to the hull and are quite difficult to remove from the hull without destroying them, so if the impeller isn't binding up , and the driveshaft seal isn't frozen or siezed to the shaft, you may want to just pull off the end and replace the gear lube. be cvarefull of the carrier seal on the drive shaft, if it is siezed to the shaft it will spin the hose and sink the ski in a hurry.