tohatsu idle adjustment?

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
2003 40 hp 2 stroke, how do I change the idle? It has crept up to 1200 rpms now, carbs fully closed by the looks of things, so im not sure adjusting their linkages will work, about 120 hours on the engine. Is there any other maintenence I need to do for this season?<br /><br />Thanks.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: tohatsu idle adjustment?

Using the idle adjustment screw....Turn it down a little.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

On the carbs, turn the air/fuel mix screw in to soft stop and then 1 and a half turns out ... then play with it lightly ...... just remember turn it inwards to soft stop, don't break it off like I did ... and what a mission to get that out ....

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Do not adjust the air mixture adjustment screws on the carburetors unless you know what you are doing. You will either get them too rich or too lean and it will not adjust your idle...At least not in the way you would want.
The single screw on the linkage on the side of the bank of carburetors is the place where you adjust the idle.

My suggestion would be not to adjust it at all. 2 stroke idle is fickle. Every time you buy gas and mix it, no matter how carefully - it wil change. Randomly. (Its not you, the EPA has them constantly fiddling with the volatility and the Ethanol content for air quality and the Iowa caucus respectively.) When the weather changes, it will change. faster hot, slower cold. If for some reason you can't ignore it, only change the idle stop, not the mixture, and don't "make it right" just bring it back far enough to live with it. Otherwise your next tank of gas may have your motor sputtering and dying all the time. When you get a sense of the range of things through your whole operating season, you'll know if you still want to lower the idle.