NS40-C foot oil (water)

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What would likely be the cause of water slowly entering the foot oil on my Nissan NS40-C?<br /><br />Not a large amount but any water entering into the gear oil is a concern..could it be from a mechanic re-using the old large gasket when reassembling the foot after he installed a water pump kit?<br /><br />If I can not figure it out does a trip to the shop for a leak test seem to be the next logical step? Thanks..

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: NS40-C foot oil (water)

1 - bad seal in lower unit<br />2 - no, unless he went into the sealed lower unit, for something else<br />3 - given that you had a mech replace water pump, which is probably easier than replacing lower unit seals, yes.

eddy2419

Seaman Apprentice

See my post above "04 Tohatsu 25 HP Foot Failure".<br /><br />There is no leak test I know of. Have a complete seal kit installed for the foot. I recently learned about these, unfortunately.<br /><br />Water pump replacement does not affect the lower unit seals as stated by John_8. I have replaced them on a couple of 9.8's.<br /><br />Water in foot + cold weather = $300+ possibly out of my pocket for a 6 month old 25HP Tohatsu/Nissan (still in warranty with a factory defective seal).<br /><br />Have all the seals replaced then check for water intrusion constantly to be sure it has abated.

eddy2419

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, you had asked about how water could enter.<br /><br />Fishing line around the prop shaft can violate the rear seal in front of the prop and cause the problem. This is probably the most common reason.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Pressure testing the lowerunit can pin down the leaking o-ring/gasket/seal. Or you can simply replace all of them. As stated above, the propshaft seal is usually the culprit because monofilament gets pulled down into the seal. I can't imagine what "the old large gasket" is that the tech re-used. The only two gaskets involved in a WP replacement fit under the waterpump housing and come with the kit. My best advice is to replace the two little gaskets on the gear case oil screws(I doubt that the tech changed them), refill the case, use the engine and then see if you get water in it. If you do, then reseal the case from top to bottom.

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am so disgusted with this supposedly reliable engine I can not believe I still own it.A black cloud POS for sure.First thing to fail was the CDI after I put all of one hour on the rig($575 service bill)See my post from last year about it dying under the massive RPM load of idle speed.<br /> Now the foot oil takes on water after the tremendous strain of running it on the flush ears @ idle speed.Leaks milky watered down gear oil around the propellor shaft housing bolts in addition to taking on water in the first place.No fishing line has cut through the seals and the washers under the oil level and oil drain are both new..this engine has only run about two hour increments total without some failure since I bought it.I own four boats currently and maintain all of them without any problems. <br /> Is there a "special tool" required to drop the foot on this turd=take it back to the shop to get robbed again?<br /> I have the owners manual I purchased from Elvin and that is what it indicate$$$$$.Great!! <br /> <br /> "Pull out the upper spring pin of the shift rod joint using a tool spring pin"(special tool)Figure 10.3 (page 34)<br /><br /> It would help to at least be able to remove the corpse from the engine before taking it to get serviced/screwed again instead of them adding another $150 for the Slo-Mo mechanic to take his sweet time removing it.. pi$$ed? 10-4

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class

"this engine has only run about two hour increments total without some failure since I bought it."<br />This was a new engine you when you bought it? The 40C models haven't been sold in the US since about 1997. If this was brand new that would mean it's been sitting at some dealership for 8-9 years?! I would have to guess this was a used motor when you bought it. Perhaps the previous owner had not maintained it to the same standards as you would have.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Your best bet is to sell the engine. But, the special tool is a common punch. You could even use a nail.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Calm, <br />While I clearly understand your pain and fustration with this particular motor, the comments will not encourage others to help. <br /><br />While the oem manual probably says to use a special tool, I used a simple punch to remove the roll pin. Just support it, so you don't bend the shift rod. I did this on my 40C, last year, for the first time, to replace water pump. It is an early 80's motor and I found it a very simple procedure. <br /><br />I agree with TGuy, with the model/year issue. Something isn't adding up. Are you saying that the engine sat unused during the warrenty period? ie the first failure you reported wasn't covered? Providing the complete history might help in diagnoising problems.