Honda 4 stroke pull start jammed

glasgowdan

Cadet
I have just tried to start my 5hp honda 4 stroke for the first time in months and the pull start cord is jammed, it comes out an inch then locks solid. Am I missing something simple?<br /><br />Cheers

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda 4 stroke pull start jammed

Possibly. Check to see if it's in gear.

IainB

Recruit

Having the same issue with mine, I have tried moving the shift lever from neutral to reverse and also to forward. The pull start will come out about another inch in neutral.Trying the electric start produces a thud like sound. I will pull the cover later this week and see if there is an issue with the gear selector and check electrical connections(we had thunderstorms rage through yesterday as I was workng on this ). :mad: If I find out anything I will let the group know.

IainB

Are you in neutral? My friends 8hp Honda had this interesting little red safety lever that locks the pullstart when the motor is in gear and it stick once. We just flipped it back and never had a problem since

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove the spark plug and try to pull the rope. Sometimes when I store the 8HP on it's side, some of the crankcase oil gets into the cylinder and locks up the piston. Pull the rope a few times without the spark installed to blow out any residual oil in the chamber.
Nick

alfshead

Cadet

Hi, I have the same problem on my 2hp 4 stoke Honda. It starts in gear (always in forward there is no neutral).
Any help?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

For the ones with a gear shift, there is generally an interlock that prevents starting in gear. To see it, take off the hood and look at the flywheel. You should see a small lever that engages the flywheel when you shift into forward or reverse, but lifts up when shifted into neutral.

My 07 6HP Mercury (Tohatsu) has that feature. I am not sure if it has a throttle interlock.

For the guy with the forward only motor, I have read here that those can have a throttle interlock so that the boat doesn't take off unexpectedly. Might cause someone to lose thier balance and fall down, or worse, overboard.

alfshead

Cadet

Hi - I took apart the engine and finally discovered a random nut had come off and was jamming the flywheel! Cost of the repair was only my time - Try turning the motor on it's side and shaking it - You may be able to hear the rattle if you have the same problem as me.
Cheers