nissan 5hp

danberlin

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 94 5hp Nissan I'm trying to get running right.It runs great in a barrel but under a load it bogs or shuts down when I cut back the throttle fron wide open.I cleaned the carburator and now I am replacing the head gasket to clean out salt buildup(someone told me this can effect how it runs).<br />My main question now is does anyone know what to torque the head bolts at,and do I use any gasket seal on it or install it dry? By the way the salt buildup didn't look terrible but there was some.If anyone has some input on what to try if the salt removal has no effect I would appreciate it.<br />Thanks, Dan

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: nissan 5hp

The salt build up would not have caused it to bog down unless the engine cooling passages were so restricted by the salt that there was insufficient water flowing through the engine to cool it. Almost always it's still the carburator thats the culprit. It's not unusual to have to clean a carb twice to clear out the passages. You need to take it all the way apart and soak it in carburator cleaner. Then you need to make a visual inspection that every jet hole is actually clear. The head bolts are torqued down to 2.4-2.6 kgs. You do not need to use any sealant, but you do need to use a new headgasket.

danberlin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Elvin,<br />I am using a new head gasket.When I cleaned the carb there were two square diaphrams inside the square housing on the side.They didn't look that great,no holes but kind of wrinkled.Should I get a rebuild kit and replace these as well as everything else in the kit?

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

danberlin,<br />Yes, replace those also. Those diaphrams are the fuel pump for the carb. If you have the carb off already, it never hurts to replace that too...especially if its 10 years old.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Navigator is right. The 5hp kit does not come with diaphragms or the fuel pump gaskets anymore so you will have to buy them separatly. If you get a kit that has been in stock for awhile it may have them in it.

danberlin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help guys I'll let you know how it works out.<br />Dan

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another question on the Nissan 5 hp (four stroke).<br /><br />Mine is a 1999 and the only problem is starting. I squeeze and squeeze and pull and pull. It always starts eventually and runs well but wears me out. The inline squeeze bulb never gets real hard. Would that suggest that it needs to be replaced?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Depending on the engine, the bulb should firm up or become hard. Some get like a rock, others just go from soft to full(but you an still squeeze them). Any kind of an air leak in the full system can cause the bulb to not get firm enough. It could be a bad check valve in the bulb , o-ring in a fuel fitting, pin hole in the fuel line or a stuck valve in the carb that allows the fuel to flow out(that one would be apparent). That engine should always start on the first pull. So something is wrong. Other things that can cause it to be hard to start are:<br /><br />dirty carb<br />dirty sparkplug<br />water in fuel<br />miss adj carb<br /><br />There are other problems that can creep up as well, but those are the top four.

danberlin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help!<br />I took apart my carb, soaked it,and reassembled. <br />Went for a cold blast today and it ran great.<br />I got the carb kit at internetoutboards.com<br />Dan