Honda corrodes faster than other outboards??

bulkleycorp

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />I saw a post (not here) that claims Honda outboards corrode faster than OMC, others. Any facts from Honda owners to prove this out?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Rick

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda corrodes faster than other outboards??

honda 90, 5 years old 400 hrs. some corrosion on the directional fin, looks new otherwise.

BrianW

Seaman Apprentice

My 1997 Honda 130hp 4 stroke has a few hose clamps under the cowling that have corrosion, but the rest of the motor looks darn near brand new.<br /><br />It spends most of it's life in a slip in saltwater.

phatmanmike

Captain

i have a 1976 mercurry 115 that looks brand new ALL OVER, spent its hole life in florida salt water. i have lots of old, pre 1980 omc and clinton motors and a few imports....<br /><br />i like to tell people that teh imports dont hold up too well after a long time, corrosion wise, and im talking longer than 5-8 years.... try to get somebody with a 1990 or 1985 import and ask them.....if you can find them...<br /><br />but when i do that i usually get rodbolt pissed at me :p

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahahaah<br />nope<br /> that was my only beef with a honda or suzuki. if it has not been apart in 5 years and has been in saltwater odds are its not coming apart. the yamahas of the 8o's and early 90's were almost as bad. suzuki and yamaha started chrome plating the bolts in the power head and it helped a lot. surface corrosion does not matter to me it matters to you guys. I really dont care if the paint is missing from the skeg, I care if the fasteners will come out. I have had a few 130 hondas this year that removing the lower was dicey due to corrosion around the studs, studs look cool but have no place on an outboard in saltwater. ask a merc tech :) :) <br /> good luck and keep posting <br /> so phatmike dodged a bullet :) :)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The original Spirit and early Suzuki outboards had a problem with paint corrosion due to the paint formula being designed for cold saltwater rather than warm saltwater. It seems that Japanense domestic use is entirely cold water and nobody thought anything about it at the time. Today there is little difference if any from brand to brand. Now the bolt differences are real....intentionaly so. The Japanese believe in yearly changing of their ss bolts, so they use a high carbon content ss. They almost never break, but if you wait to long to change them they can rust away. U.S. manufactuers, when there were some, went with a low carbon content steel that would not rust, but tended to break off. They both have benefits and drawbacks depending on which one you are working on at the time. But in the end....saltwater gets you one way or the other.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

My experience is limited (statistical sample size of 1) since I'm not a pro but I will confirm Rodbolt's comment. My 1987 Suzuki has made me an expert at helicoils. I don't know about Internetoutboardsusa comment but I be breakin bolts left and right.<br />1 head bolt<br />1 thermostat cover bolt<br />2 powerhead bolts<br />5 exhaust housing bolts (man I shoulda never gone in there).<br /><br />And I am careful and use heat and penetating oil.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I should have been more specfic. A lot of the bolts used in older outboards are not SS. A lot are anodized steel...they break f you look at them wrong. Even new outboards have non SS bolts in them. Also, after 3 or 4 years in saltwater any bolt is subject to shearing in any engine.