Propshaft..how much end play?50hp

shindig888

Seaman
I've got my 91' gearbox apart and there seems to be about .030" endplay in the propshaft is this normal? This means the front bearing will come apart this much... in reverse gear? The input bearing race seems to be spinning a bit in its bore. This race is to float? Any reassurance this is normal or not would be great.

shindig888

Seaman
Re: Propshaft..how much end play?50hp

One more Question: Is it normal for the reverse gear to use the inner race of the output bearing as a thrust bearing surface? the way I see it, the gear counter rotates against that race all the time. Except when in reverse. Thought maybe there would be a thrust washer there or some thing. I seem to be missing .030" somewhere. Any takers...Roscoe? Mod#507e91c ser#029452

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There is one thrust washer behind the forward gear, and one thrust washer in front of the reverse gear. Thats it.<br /><br />I don't think .030 is out of the ordinary for these motors, but know for sure.

shindig888

Seaman

I put .018" shim behind the out bearing.. Hope all goes well. Also the input bearing outer race seemed to be spinning (aswell as floating up or down in its bore) so I loctited it in its seat. Tell me this is good so I can sleep. I will be doing a long haul form Port Alberni to Bamfeild this Sept. And don't want any surprises. She's only a 50.. Slow but sure Any coments are welcome...